LegacyGT.com

Spring (no, not the season) summary

rockford33

This morning I deceided to take a look at all of the different springs that are available for our LGT and compile a list of price, drop, etc. in one place. This is what I came up with:

Ion Performance, $349-$479 (group buy - msrp), 1.18" front (progressive), 1" rear (linear)

Swift springs, $499, 1" front, 0.6" rear, linear?

STi Pinks, $240 (at Mastro, not sure if for LGT) to $409, 0.6" +/- F/R, supposed to work with factory struts, linear?

Since I am not sure if the springs for an STi or WRX will work on our LGT, this looks to me like a complete list of available springs. I did see some Whitelines (1.18" drop, $260), Prodrives (0.8" drop, $280), Eibach (1.2" front, 0.8" rear, $279) and Teins (1.5" front, 1.2" rear, $180) for 2004+ STi's. Please note that these are the lowest prices I saw, but there was some variance. I hope this helps people who might be on the fence to upgrade their springs (I did not look at coliovers since they are too expensive for me and I don't see a need for them with just street driving). If anyone (vendors, gurus) has any info to add (or correct), feel free!!

-Neil

If you swap springs out, you are pretty much stuck with whatever drop you get as there is nothing to adjust the height. Is that right?

What are the disadvantages to coilovers other than the cost? Do they "wear out" sooner than a strut and spring setup?

I'm thinking of dropping an Outback.

how about progress springs $155

1.5 front 1.25 rear (actually installed) ;)

center of wheel to inner fender lining (lowest point of fender)

------ befor ------after

front 14 3/4-----13 1/4 progressive

rear 14 1/4-----13 linear

picture

So, is that $155 for both front and rears or $310.00 for the set?

Which vendor did you use?

Megan header,Perrin TMIC, TD06-20G,AEM CAI, Lachute DP, Avo BOV, BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback, Hawk HPS pads, Stoptech lines, Snow WI

front and rear 155 shipped

precision tuning -has been gret to deal with

so i am going to throw out a warning tho

both my progress front and rear sways are fouling on control arms with the progress springs on the car

i am guessing they tested the sways with stock springs not the lowering springs ..

adjustable length end links are going to be nessicary to use them

hmm, not sure how to put my two cents in this thread.. so I'll just say this for now:

-I believe the Swift springs are progressive

-I believe the STi Pinks are linear ( http://www.racecompengineering.com sells them and has the part numbers)

-There are specific Legacy STi pinks springs for auto, manual, GT, and GT-B, sedan and wagon (all diffferent part numbers AND minor spring rate differences).

-Coilovers come in various setups and levels of use... typically, coilovers are a set of design-matched shocks and springs (hey what do you know, just like OEM design notes). Depending on the company and "options and features" and price, a coilover can offer a lot more than a set of upgraded springs with stock shocks or upgraded springs and upgraded shocks (still mis-matched performance differences are very possible). Coilovers can last as long as stock shocks, provided for the correct use and correct care. Coilovers can be rebuilt when damaged (since most adjustable coilovers have adjustable valving, so it's easier to rebuild the valving than replacing a whole new coilover). Stock shocks go through replacement process (more cost effective to just replace than to rebuild a stock shock).

-there are two types of coilovers:

-->1st generation= spring/sleeve/spring perch coilovers ( see http://www.ground-control.com with http://www.motonsuspension.com as a common racing and WINNING set up)

-->2nd generation= full coilover built as one set of matching shock-&-spring system such as TEIN, ZEAL, BLITZ, HKS, TANABE, ZEROSPORTS, SYMS, STI, etc.

-Lowering springs usually have higher spring rates, but very few are out of stock shock's valving range (if R&D properly). If they are too high or too low of a spring rate, you will know as the ride quality diminishes drastically and you'll have a damaged shock very soon. If the lowering spring lowers the car too much, the shock could be bottoming out and killing the stroke of the suspension travel (pre-mature wear on the shock, be worried when you have spring installs that tells you to remove the ENTIRE bump stop).

-Some lowering springs can and probably will shorten the life of the shock due to suspension travel (as the shock is always under compression more than what it was designed). Check for a wet shock body or a leaking one.. a blown shock can really make you lose control in a bumpy pavement turn, which makes the springs do all the dampening work (not a good idea.. when this happens, your car will feel like a boat in a storm in the ocean).

If there are any questions, please post, I'll try to answer them as I am sure everyone wants to know your concerns as well.

Keefe

Keefe

If you swap springs out, you are pretty much stuck with whatever drop you get as there is nothing to adjust the height. Is that right?

Correct, you are stuck with that ride height since there are no adjustments that you can do to raise the car or lower the car more.

What are the disadvantages to coilovers other than the cost?

Getting the incorrect coilovers for your purpose or use is the disadvantage as there are soo many types of coilovers and different uses. So yes, the lack of the knowledge of using coilovers or buying them will give you a bad taste for coilovers.. I have had some people say "coilovers suck, go with springs".. that was the most ignorant thing I have ever heard coming from an ignorant ricer.

Another disadvantage is probably added noise from not having stock rubber upper mounts as most coilovers come with adjustable camber plates (aka upperball pillowmounts) which is all metal. You can hear some creeking and some minor clunking from hard bumps, but that can vary from coilover to coilover application.

Keefe

Keefe

Keefe, you have very valid points about suspensions.

However, keep in mind that everyone's goals are not the same as yours when it comes to modifying a car.

Not everyone competes in AutoX and track days. Some people just want a lowered car.

$155 up front, and $300-$400 for replacement shocks every couple of years is more appealing than $1600 - $3000+ for a set of proper coilovers to someone who just wants their car to look better. Ya know?

I've had a bad experience from a very expensive and well regarded coil over system. They binded, they clunked, they were bouncy on smooth asphalt, you name it. I'm not sure that I'll ever buy such a suspension again because of my bad experience. I know that every coilover system is not the same, but I have yet to convince myself that coilovers are right for me.

oh dont get me wrong, I was just here putting points of what types of suspensions you can do.. I didnt imply anything about "coiloverz R teh fastAR" or anything like that. Heck, even I am looking into a set of swift springs for my stock suspension that I have sitting in my garage since I will need to send in the ZEALs one day (or couple of weeks) for a rebuild and I want a better performing and lowered car than stock at all times. Hey guys, I am still in the same boat as you guys are as well.

I am sorry you had a bad experience with coilovers. As I said before, knowledge to take care of them and use them correctly yields many miles of happiness. Lowering too much of the coilover will also blow out the shock, bind the springs, and all that you mentioned as well. Pre-loading the springs too much by those one-way coilovers to adjust ride height is a big misconception and that's how you get a crappy and bouncy ride on top of being under or overdampen. I know what you went through as it really does suck to watch a set of reputable coilovers get wasted. I trouble-shoot a lot for people with coilovers as they felt that they spent too much on something soo crappy when really it was all just lack of knowing what they really have. I think you need some additional information on how to deal with coilovers as not everyone need them and even less people even know how to use them correctly for track, drag, and even street use.

If you need info on how to care for coilovers and how to use them, you can PM me about it later. As I said before, I have heard people bad-mouth some very reputable coilovers when really it was lack of knowledge of knowing how to use them and taking good care of them.

Remember, I will be looking into a set of Swift custom lowering springs or a set of Lithe Springs as well. I know these two companies are just as reputable as STi.

Keefe

Keefe

do the lithe springs have the same feature as the swift - which are supposed to provide the same spring response with less coils and thus less weight- basically using different material

springs are simple machines you only have

wind

material composition

material diameter

struts are the complex part .. as far as i can tell the progress and H&Rs are the *only* springs that were designed around the usdm struts anyway

the others pinks/swift/lithe aren't

this is why i took the chance on the $155 springs

so far they have been ok the progress sways on the other hand ....

Are the STi springs the only springs available right now that are matched to work with the factory struts/shocks? Can anyone confirm that they are linear, and how does that affect ride quality vs. a progreesive spring in everyday driving? I am looking for a slight drop (0.5" to 1" max), still a nice ride (a little firmer), and something that is matched to the factory struts. Not looking for an autocross suspension, just a little more responsive and aggressive looking.

Thanks,

Neil

where can I order/buy STI pink springs for my 2005 LGT Wagon, 5 speed? Or, some other modest lowering spring that will work with factory struts.

any canadian distribution?

also, anyone using a 17x8 rim, 48 offset, with 235/40/17 tires? car will be lowered a bit with stock struts.

thanks

bigfish

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Why are the STI pinks the only ones to take into account if the the car is 5MT or 5EAT and if it's a sedan or wagon? Are they the only ones to take their different weights into account? A 5MT sedan is going to weigh less than a 5EAT wagon by a bunch.

Are the STi springs the only springs available right now that are matched to work with the factory struts/shocks? Can anyone confirm that they are linear, and how does that affect ride quality vs. a progreesive spring in everyday driving? I am looking for a slight drop (0.5" to 1" max), still a nice ride (a little firmer), and something that is matched to the factory struts. Not looking for an autocross suspension, just a little more responsive and aggressive looking.

Thanks,

Neil

Rockford: just in case you didn't get an answer to this elsewhere: the sti pink springs are NOT matched to work with the USDM factory struts. The combo work fine together for the most part, and the ride is essentially comparable to some factory sport setups except that the struts may not handle as smoothly as a properly matched setup. I have this combo and the inadequate rebound/damping is noticeable on abrupt transitions, especially when cornering. I doesn't seem to pose any hazard if you are driving at sane speeds, but I wouldn't recommened this combo for track purposes, and I am switching to the JDM bilstein struts to get a better match. I am pretty sure, but cannot confirm 100% that the sti pinks are linear. Progressive springs may get you a little more ride compliance around town and at slower speeds, but I don't have any experience with them on this car. Also, fyi, pinks give a 1 inch drop all around. and if you want to experience it, feel free to PM me and maybe we cd meet sometime if you are near DC....

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

Why are the STI pinks the only ones to take into account if the the car is 5MT or 5EAT and if it's a sedan or wagon? Are they the only ones to take their different weights into account? A 5MT sedan is going to weigh less than a 5EAT wagon by a bunch.

this is a good question. maybe keefe knows the answer. I'd have to guess that the pinks are the only ones to make these model-specific adjustments, which is great, but balanced by the fact that they are not designed to match our facotry struts.

what is the weight difference between a 5MT sedan (not a limited) and a 5EAT limited wagon? I'm gonna look that up. Must be a couple of hundred pounds I think.

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

Rockford: just in case you didn't get an answer to this elsewhere: the sti pink springs are NOT matched to work with the USDM factory struts. The combo work fine together for the most part, and the ride is essentially comparable to some factory sport setups except that the struts may not handle as smoothly as a properly matched setup. I have this combo and the inadequate rebound/damping is noticeable on abrupt transitions, especially when cornering. I doesn't seem to pose any hazard if you are driving at sane speeds, but I wouldn't recommened this combo for track purposes, and I am switching to the JDM bilstein struts to get a better match. I am pretty sure, but cannot confirm 100% that the sti pinks are linear. Progressive springs may get you a little more ride compliance around town and at slower speeds, but I don't have any experience with them on this car. Also, fyi, pinks give a 1 inch drop all around. and if you want to experience it, feel free to PM me and maybe we cd meet sometime if you are near DC....

I actually hadn't received a reply, so thank you for the information. I guess I was maybe misreading this from Race Comp Engineering's site:

STi Legacy GT Lowering Spring Set

Lowering springs designed specifically to provide a sporty ride to the Legacy models. Shifts the compromise balance from comfort to performance. Can be used with factory struts. Lowers car approx. 15mm.

New specifically designed springs for the 2005 Legacy are now available.

They CAN work with the factory struts (as I guess any spring can, if only for a short time lol), but they aren't matched to the struts.

I would love a ride in your car with the pinks. You should try and make it to our monthly LGT meets. For the past two times, it has just been Keefe, Calvin, and me (Mervin came from Ca. to the first meet). I am just outside Baltimore, so we should try and get together sometime.

Archived