LegacyGT.com

What does a smooth shifter feel like?

I just dumped the old tranny oil and replaced it with some Amsoil 75w-90 severe gear.

I put in about 3.5 quarts (book says 3.7) but now the dipstick says that i have beyond full - does this vary by temperature?

The shifting feels more "pronounced" than before - like I can feel things going into gear in a much more pronounced way- but this also measn that there is a slight bit more resistance - like i am clicking from gear to gear....

I know this is a dumb question but how should a nicely shifting manual tranny feel?

"smooth" when transitioning into gears - like moving a stick around in a big bucket of grease with very little resistance

OR

"crisp" like flipping a light switch, toggling from gear to gear with a pronounced "click in"

like I said, I am feeling #2 a bit more than #1 and worry that I don't feel enough lubrication...

do I just have too much fluid in there? right after driving, the tranny dipstick looks a bit frothy.

If you're worried drain it all, replace the fluid, and try again. This can get expensive quick, but you should be able to notice that the new fluid you just put in and removed will be sludgy. Use a clean pan so you can tell how contaminated the fluid is.

So here is the method I would use broken down.

Drain fluid. Check for sludge. Fill with new fluid. Drive car. Drain some fluid. Check for more sludge. If no sludge is found after you drain about a quart, plug it up and drive it some more. Repeat until no sludge is noticed. The frothy is probably because it's too full on fluid. The only thing contaminated fluid would really affect is the synchro's, since they work on friction. The friction material in the synchro will wear down and make it's way into the gear oil. It can coat internal parts with this sludge that's made up of old gear oil and friction material dust. If I were you I'd flush it like I mentioned above, just to make sure you get some of that gunk out of there. The transmission could be a little too full since there will still be residue and friction material stuck to internal parts, taking up capacity. Still, .2 of a quart is a lot of residue. That is kinda strange.

Every car is different when it comes to gear selector "Feel" just like clutches. My Cummins diesel was very, very clunky. You could literally hear the synchros wind up like an extra turbo sometimes (Because they are so large). Both my Cummins and my F150 4 speed could change gears without the use of the clutch with no adverse affects extremely easily as long as you matced RPM's. Long story short, every car is different. Every model car is different too. You could probably take your 2000 GT and swap with another seemingly identical 2000 GT and notice a difference. You're really the only one who knows how it should feel, and if it doesn't feel right then you should find out why.

It could also just be the new fluid. Gear oil does wear over time, just like oil. It will break down and it's viscosity will seem to change over time as it breaks down. You might just be feeling the new fluid and thinking it's a problem when it's really how the car should feel.

Archived