LegacyGT.com

Give me 10 reasons not trade into an STi

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being someone looking to go the opposite way, currently driving Sti, I'll give you my opinions.

Ground clearance does suck. If you will be doing any urban/city driving you will scrape your side splitters and/or exhaust underneath on those ramped parking garage entryways. I am slightly lower than stock due to springs but no lip. I could only imagine someone slammed with a lip.

I do not find the car to be a cop magnet. If you have an extremely loud exhaust it will be, but I have borla hush and have no issues with cops.

Insurance can be high. If you have a perfect record and are over 25 it won't be too bad. If you have a speeding ticket it will jump a lot, if you are under 25 with a ticket it will be very high.

I find the car to be unique. I'm not in any car clubs or anything, but I barely see any other STis. To add to that the car does stand out, there are lots of stories of random vandalism on the sti forums. A lot of this depends on where you hang out though. AKA a more upscale urban area you won't have issues. A car-club type scene, movie theatre, 1/4 mile track is where stuff can happen.

Very stiff suspension. Yes of course this is fine for me but think about others. If you have a wife/kids or drive other clients/employees around for work you need to take that into consideration. My co-workers like my car but hate driving in it. I have never had to drive a client around but I would almost feel a bit sorry for them if they just came in from a long flight and had to ride in my car on DC streets. My fiance hates the suspension and so does any other female I have had in the car.

one reason

gt500>sti

:)

My friend owns a GT500 amazingly fast car in a straight line but extremely unpractical. You cant carry a kid around in one you might as well be driving a ford focus if it is anything other than warm/sunny out or all the power is pretty much useless due to traction issues.

He is actually looking to sell for a modded EVO because he just had a kid and the car sits in his garage if it's raining or below 40degrees out.

I own both - the 05LGT in 5MT is ALOT cheaper to insure than wrx, even at 34 yrs old - which was (according to New York Times) the single most expensive car to insure ..at least the 06/07 model year.

there just isn't a comparison on ride comfort - and quite honestly, with not a lot of modding effort, our lgt is as fast as the 07 wrx wagon (mine that is modded/tuned like the STI). I love driving the wife's LGT.

(note: i always get grilled by the wife bc i am used to how visceral the wrx is, easier for shifting by sound .. and always flake on shifting in the lgt bc its so damn quiet in comparison!)

At stock we sometimes got 30-31 mpg on roadtrips as well - super quite, and a much MUCH better comfort appointments than sti wrx, as many have stated. I literally can do a side comparison, have had an 08 in my possession as well for a while - and even at almost 5 yrs old, the legacy GT (5MT) alwasy takes people by surprise...comfort, tq, speed, etc.

My friend owns a GT500 amazingly fast car in a straight line but extremely unpractical. You cant carry a kid around in one you might as well be driving a ford focus if it is anything other than warm/sunny out or all the power is pretty much useless due to traction issues.

He is actually looking to sell for a modded EVO because he just had a kid and the car sits in his garage if it's raining or below 40degrees out.

yeah i keep it away from below 40 degrees and snow... i dont see how you cant carry a kid... there's more than enough room in the back if you move up the passenger's front seat a bit

1.Rarer.

2.Ground clearance.

3.Power seats.

4.Better defogger.

5.Sunroof.

6.Sound dampening.

7.Leg room.

8.Heated wiper blades.

9.Heated seats.

10.And most important...LEATHER!!!

Pretty good list

Perks:

1.) cheaper insurance by a lot

2.) leather (excluding STi limited)

3.) power seats, heated blades, mirrors, seats (those nice little things)

4.) sunroof (again STi limited has)

5.) more grown up looking but some will argue STi Limited did lose a lot of boy racer look

6.) much quieter ride

7.) more room but not a lot more

8.) reduce police attention

Downsides of the LGT:

1.) crappy drivetrain unless you get a Spec B

2.) less performance oriented

3.) a little more involved in order to make fast

4.) no brembos

5.) weigh more and are thus slower...if that matters

6.) 05+ STi's have 5x114.3 for wheel selection and much beefier wheelbearings!

Archived