LegacyGT.com

RPM and mileage

I have been watching the tach to get an idea of how the engine runs at speed. My car is running 2900/3000 RPMs at 65. Is this about right with what others are seeing? I have found you can tell if the car is running right by the comparison of speed to RPM, but since I am new to these cars I have no point of referance. Also what kind of fuel mileage are most people getting with their late 90's 2.5GTs? I am depending on my driving getting 25 to 27mpg.

Car is a 98 GT 5sp all stock no mods done at this time.

Do you know if yours is truly a 2.5L? I thought mine was but it turned out to be a 2.2 from the same year (replaced probably because of head gasket issues). But mine hums along at something just south of 3000, and I get 28-29 on the highway.

I am not sure 100% but I have seen nothing to think other wise. Is there an easy way of checking. The car runs great and off the line runs pretty even with my friends 07 Legacy 2.5i though mine is running a few 100 RPMs more and uses just a bit more gas. I have not gotten any higher than 27mpg on mine and that is only after getting the oil changed I have the feeling before is was traded the last owner really ran the oil change long over due.

I am just trying to some base line for the car and how it runs. I have seen alot about this head gasket thing. Do you know any warnings for it failing, or a way to see if it has been fixed if this is a 2.5

Thanks for any help. hmm wonder if it is a 2.5

Archived