LegacyGT.com

Considering A 4th Gen Legacy. First Time Subaru Owner W/ Questions

Not in 07, I would have liked an additional gear. Other model years might have been different, as I was shopping only for new cars in 2007.

For 2009, its even worse. The 2.5i only has a MT with the absolute base model, and are incredibly rare to find, which means almost all 2.5i at the 4EAT.

I'm not a fan of the gear ratios in the 4EAT, I find the gap between 2 & 3,4 to be a bit too much. You tend to wind up merging in 2nd, and revving fairly high. I suspect this would be better with the 5EAT and the same engine.

A year or two ago, I got an '08 2.5i as a rental car (best rental ever). Try calling around a see if you can find one to rent for a few days.

The price difference for turbo and non-turbo can also be significant, so you might be able to find an 07-08 2.5i for the same price as an 05-06 turbo.

I wound up buying an '09 turbo, partially because I wasn't a fan of the 4EAT. I test drove the newer 2010 2.5i and CVT is definitely better than the 4EAT as a daily driver. I wound up getting an '09 turbo, because the dealer wanted nearly the same price for a '10 2.5i and an '09 turbo.

as long as you have the rotary controls you can try this for $50...

http://www.scosche.com/ecom/images/product/1600.13213.600x400.SU2025B.jpg

When I had my 2.5i I had that dash kit......but I was saying there is no dash kit available for the GT.

I know what you mean with the MT vs the AT. My G20 only has 140HP and I can't even imagine driving this thing in an auto. It can barely get out of it's own way with the manual.

Same with 2.5i Legacy. Auto catastrophically slow. Manual is notably better. Remember AWD power train has more losses. Teach your woman to drive manual, else trade her in for a model who does drive manual or is willing to learn.

TTTUUUUUURRRRBBBBOOOOOOO! Do it! I have driven both. Non-turbo auto sucks! Feels like it can't get out of its own way and I own a '05 lgt wagon and it is a blast to drive!

The whole stereo thing not that big of a deal if you don't mind loosing the pocket above the radio. I work at a shop in kingston (not too far away) and we can hook you up with a deck install.

This is the first Subaru I have owned and I have no major complaints.

huh....I didn't know scosche made one too.

Metra makes one too http://www.metraonline.com/fit.aspx

thats pretty nice. they look like they have a different set up, one has the cubby on the bottom and the other on top. the metra seems to have more parts? or maybe the picture is not the acutal product. the scosche seems to be more one part unit and metra has many parts. i didnt see a price...do you remember about how much $? thanks:cool:

Well I took the 05 that I mentioned in the first post on a test drive tonight. It's a GT with the 5 speed manual. The salesman I spoke with tonight said the engine was replaced but not the transmission, he didn't know why the first salesman said that.

Anyway the car was nice, man when those Turbo's kick in these things have some serious power. I'll still probably have to find an auto but I'm definitely getting a GT if I get a Legacy. The turbo is worth it. One thing I wasn't so sure about was the seats, I found them to be very hard and offer little support. I'll have to take one for a little longer drive to see if that will be an issue for me.

good call man....gts are fun and the turbo is noticeable. Im driving the same as you- an 05 manual basic trim. I actually find the seats to be very comfortable...but to put this in perspective im comming from a 97 Tacoma. Hope you enjoy whatever you decide upon

Well I took the 05 that I mentioned in the first post on a test drive tonight. It's a GT with the 5 speed manual. The salesman I spoke with tonight said the engine was replaced but not the transmission, he didn't know why the first salesman said that.

Anyway the car was nice, man when those Turbo's kick in these things have some serious power. I'll still probably have to find an auto but I'm definitely getting a GT if I get a Legacy. The turbo is worth it. One thing I wasn't so sure about was the seats, I found them to be very hard and offer little support. I'll have to take one for a little longer drive to see if that will be an issue for me.

The newer seats (08-09, maybe 07) are better. I test drove an 05 an wasn't impressed with the seats. Then I test drove an 09 and found the seats were a little softer and MUCH more supportive.

Thanks for all the suggestions & input. I also test drove an Acura TSX last weekend and I couldn't get comfortable in that car either. I'm 6'4" and it seemed like the Legacy definitely had more room. I think I'm going to look for an 07 or 08 Legacy and see if the seats are any better as rabidwombat suggested.

Archived