LegacyGT.com

passed Denver emissions with one hi-flow cat?

SSpeed

In line as we speak to get tested w/ cnt catted dp on e85 tune, crossing my fingers in the hopes that I don't have to put stock dp on, results in a few

Good luck!! It can be done but it definitely takes crossed fingers. If you fail make sure to get the report - and post it.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heck yeah I passed !!!! They tested it twice, it was on the rollers a good 15 mins. I'll post up the #s when I get home

Awesome. I say it is always worth a try first rather than going straight to stocker DP swap. Congrats!

My '05 LGT

^Agreed I was going to swap out the dp until Sspeed told me that if you fail you can come back and get retested for no cost w/in 10 days, so I gave it a shot and it passed. They didnt do any type of visual inspection on my car at all, so worry free for the next 2 yrs :)

Yeah, it concerns me a bit. I need to investigate more.

What would kill a cat? All of my stock exhaust components have been stored outside for the last 4 years. Actually had to fish for them under a foot of snow at my parent's place a month ago. I can't imagine that would deteriorate them, would it?

In any case, my plan is to put the catless down back on and find/pay someone to help me with a data log and take it from there. I never logged in the 4 years I've had the tune.

One other thing, but I doubt it's relevant. I didn't reset the ECU or anything after reinstalling the stock pipes. Just left the Revolutions tune in place with whatever learning it had done in the last 2 or 3 months. I'm probably just throwing shit at the wall at this point.

Storing them outside definitely can't help, but I doubt that's the problem... your HC numbers are higher than mine were with a hi-flow cat...

Get a hold of cryo on here, he does road tunes at a nice price...

Originally Posted by tlewis7

Yesterday visited Mike @ 5250 Performance to convert my CNT catted to his prototype single race cat street compliant set-up (on gas) as part of testing. There is something about walking into a facility that was so neat and clean you could eat off the floor and Mike greeting you with, "You must be Tim," that puts you at ease. Got a turbo blanket installed while I was there too.

Just to break up the morning he took me on a "field trip" to meet Harvey (The Boost Creep) a block away to see how the first several pulls went on a 2011 STI project he had just completed. I was impressed. Thanks Mike and Harvey! Very nice/skilled guys.

Will be doing an emissions test next Friday to get Mike his data and will report back then.

Just back from the emissions test: One guy came up to me and asked, "What kind of car is that?" (Hogzhaust stage 2, debadged and L7 grille badge). Then stated to me, "This ought to be a fun one."

HOWEVER

~HC: 0.0432 (1.2000)

~CO: 0.6448 (15.000)

~NOx: 0.0641 (1.5000)

It was a kick to watch several people check the car looking for a reason not to pass it. They ran the test twice, my guess wondering why a car they knew was modified yet could not find a visual or sniff test reason to flunk me.

Looks like a winner for Mike @ 5250 Performance! No more need to be switching out the DP and retune to stock ECU program for me.

Those are nice numbers for an aftermarket cat. I originally passed two years ago on my Cobb hiflow cat as well. It just barely failed this time, running rich for two years probably didn't help. It may not be that they ran you twice, if you don't do well enough to fast pass you get a second chance test, even stock cars often have to do second chance. Their computer crashed halfway through my tests the last two times, I was on their dyno a long time.

I thought I would give it a try with my catless set-up, and here are the results:

HC: 2.90 (1.2)

CO: 41.96 (15)

NOx: 3.29 (1.5)

They also noticed that I didn't have a cat in the DP. They thought I had one in the uppipe because it's an STI up. The visual inspections were very thorough both times.

I threw on my stock DP and got the following:

HC: .35 (1.2)

CO: 4.24 (15)

NOx: .034 (1.5)

That's impressive that Mike's race cat did better in 2/3 than my stock DP.

That's impressive that Mike's race cat did better in 2/3 than my stock DP.

+1 That is really cool. Wonder if Mike's DP reduces power at all vs a conventional HFC.

That is great you tested catless.. never heard of someone doing that. I'm sure you had low expectations but no harm in trying!

My '05 LGT

+1

That is great you tested catless.. never heard of someone doing that. I'm sure you had low expectations but no harm in trying!

Yeah, I had to drive by the station to get to my buddy's shop where I was swapping DP's, so I figured I would give it a try. I wouldn't have guessed that the catless emissions would be around 10x the catted.

Whoa!! Better numbers than my test on E85 and my cat is even closer to the engine than anyone elses.

These cats are a HFC. When compared to a traditional race cat ($50-150) the matrix looks identical. You can just barely see through both cats. It shouldn't be anymore restrictive than any other race cat. These new race cats (Gesi) were developed for this purpose... making race cars clean while not talking the race away.

The new Gesi cats ($350-500) are stable 200 degrees higher than other race cats, they flow the same if not better than regular race cats, they are available in two sizes for 3" pipe. Under 500hp and over 500hp. The difference being one has more catalyst area than the other. And the deal maker, these cats are EPA Certified OBDII. No other high flow race cat has that certification.

This means the major hassle of what do I do come emissions time with my XXXX setup is gone. Rotated's for everyone!!!

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Very cool, does EPA Certified mean that it's ok to change it out? I was under the impression the law states something about not being able to swap out the stock cat?

How accurate is this?

E.P.A. guidelines state that replacement converters may be installed only in the following situations:

1. The vehicle is missing a converter

2. A state or local inspection program has determined that the existing converter needs replacement

3. Vehicles manufactured prior to 1996 must have more than 50,000 miles, and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented

4. In cases of OBD Il-equipped vehicles (1996 and later), the O.E. manufacturer's 8-year/80,000-mile warranty must have expired and a legitimate need for replacement must be established and documented.

Please note that Federal law prohibits removal or replacement of a properly functioning O.E. converter.

When replacement of the converter is appropriate (as outlined above), the E.P.A. further requires that:

1. It be installed in the same location as the original

2. It be the same type as the original (i.e., two-way, three-way, three-way plus air/three-way plus oxidation)

3. It be the proper model for the vehicle application as determined and specified by the manufacturer

4. It be properly connected to any existing air injection components on the vehicle

5. It be installed with any other required converter for a particular application

6. It be accompanied by a warranty information card to be completed by the installer.

So cool, Mike! I'm slowly piecing the parts list for my next build ('10-'11 WRX or STi) and I will put this DP on my "for-sure" list (along with Process West TMIC, ID1000's, GS EBCS, E85, Harvey tune, KSTech big MAF, Perrin 3" inlet, TGV deletes)

My '05 LGT

When the EPA, and not Colorado, does an inspection on someones car, let me know.

On the first set of requirements, number 1 is ours. Hey, where'd my cat go?

On the second set, legal mumbo jumbo will cover all of that.

What this means is you can go buy a dirt cheap bellmouth downpipe for around $250 new. $100 used. Spend what you would on a normal catted downpipe, $550, and have a emissions/race ready downpipe.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Unfortunately my friend Bob w/ the Crawford Performance car wasnt as lucky, his rotated set up car failed with this pipe the first time :spin:. He's going to retest it after driving it around a bit longer, if you can get that car to pass then any car should

This means the major hassle of what do I do come emissions time with my XXXX setup is gone. Rotated's for everyone!!!

We used the "test" section where Bob had a cat before. It was simpler and cheaper to install the new cat where the old one was, but I think it may be too far back in the exhaust, doesn't get/stay hot enough. That Crawford Car has a lot of unknowns too... We'll get him through though, one way or another.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived