LegacyGT.com

Exhaust Diameters

kmfuse87

So I did a few searches figuring this question had been asked, but i came up dry. Mostly because I didn't know what to search for.

If you have a 4" diameter pipe going into 2x2" diameter pipes will the airflow smoothly? Or does that logic not work with air/exhaust? Here is my idea: I want the biggest exhaust outflow possible because this is a major power source. Although i dont want to loose my Prodive mufflers (2" diameter entry pipes). So i was thinking run a 3' DP (invidia) and a 3" mid (perrin or something similar like the RPA development) then run our stock Y pipe. I know the flanges may not match but i think i can make something that will work.

The issues that I want to avoid: I hate raspy sounds or coughing, i think it sounds terrible.

The other avenue i might go is keep the stock mid y and prodrives and run a cobb DP, but i dont think it will push the power that i am looking to reach.

Goal is to reach about 300hp at the wheels. As i see it i can do this with a new intercooler, bov, and bigger exhaust.

Opinions?

I think catback gains will be negligible compared to UP/DP/TMIC/tune gains. Unfortunately if you want 300 at the wheels, the consensus is here is that it takes a turbo swap to reach that (VF52 at the minimum).

Another thing is, our stock mid/y is one piece. So if you wanted to use just the stock y in conjunction with an aftermarket mid, you'd have to cut it off the stock midpipe and mate it to the aftermarket mid by welding. Also, if you hate rasp (I do too), you will want to keep a resonator in the mid pipe (either the OEM mid or aftermarket)

I believe Adam07SpecB is running over 300 with just a TBE (Perrin), FMIC, TiAl blow off valve. He has a myriad of other suspension mods but has not swapped his turbo yet. I thought he was looking to do so but i am not sure. Please correct me if i am wrong.

So scoobs, what you saying is best bang for buck is to go DP, Mid and Y. hmmm.... In that respect the best and most affordable ideas is go AP V2, Cobb DP, and stock mid and y. with prodrives. What kind of power are people making with this set up? I also might go new perrin TMIC or something similar to get some cooler air rolling into the turbo. All with a protune of course.

more opinions?

Yeah the best bang exhaust wise for your buck would be a TBE lose the stock mid/Y pipe as it has a horrible blimp resonator inline. Ive heard of guys running 4 inch DP merged into 3 inch mid with the Y pipe spliting to 2.5 inch. I think the best exhaust would be one with a homogeneous pipe dia. 3" DP, mid/Y, and muffler inlets to match.

You can get mufflers with 3" inlets but you more than likely have to fab a good bit as not many if any mid pipe split and retain 3" pipe dia. But price the materials you will see it isnt that expensive I fabbed a 2.5 (from manifold back with 2.5 Y pipe oulets and 2.5 muffler inlets ) for under $250 from this site:

http://www.performance-curve.com/

they make 3" y pipe pieces

Archived