LegacyGT.com

3.0 H6 with poor MPG... seafoam?

I'm not really getting very good mpg at all in the city... about 14mpg. I've been reading that Seafoam can definitely help out. Found a walkthrough on subaruoutback.org and am considering trying it out:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14294&highlight=seafoam

Im a little weary, as this will be my first time using it, but wanted to know if anyone had personal experience using it on our engines. I searched on here and found one or 2 basically useless threads.

btw my car has 95k miles and the guy who wrote the walkthrough on the other forum hasnt been on in a few months so i cant contact him.

I'm not really getting very good mpg at all in the city... about 14mpg. I've been reading that Seafoam can definitely help out. Found a walkthrough on subaruoutback.org and am considering trying it out:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14294&highlight=seafoam

Im a little weary, as this will be my first time using it, but wanted to know if anyone had personal experience using it on our engines. I searched on here and found one or 2 basically useless threads.

btw my car has 95k miles and the guy who wrote the walkthrough on the other forum hasnt been on in a few months so i cant contact him.

i did it in my vw passat 1.8 it help out. the best part is the smoke show. i smoked out the hole block.i what to do it my my car but cant find out a good spot. this might help its a audi a4 1.8t it will give u some ideas

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng89.shtml

picture of driver side valve cover...

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs077.snc3/14448_530059530012_72100768_31257678_5566696_n.jpg

i believe it to be where the hose with the finger clamp(?) goes into the valve cover, to the left of the wire loom, just above where the battery is at in the picture. correct?

Possibly some other issue? Have you been doing your other routine maint like plugs, filters, etc?

Exactly. What other maintenance has been done to the vehicle? What brand and type gas are you using? Tire pressure checked weekly?

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I just picked the car up 2 weeks ago, and the dealer had invoices stating that they'd changed the oil and all filters, serpentine belt, and replace 2 cv boots. With that said, I really have no idea how old the plugs are, so I'll go pick some up tomorrow. Now I just gotta figure out how to get to the plugs.

As for tire pressure, its good. Gas is 91 from Rutters.

^^^^ Ohk no :lol: this guy has a different type of problem LOL!

You should do a base level maintenance first I will do this every 30K for my 08 2.5i eventho the book calls for different. at 30K i changed fuel, air, cabin, and oil filters in addition to that i changed plugs. My car even with 30K on the clock ran better than before.

If i were you I would change the plugs and fuel filter then see what improvement follows. Getting to your plugs isn't that difficult the most difficult is the rear driver side (Cyl #5 i think) you can do it.

A 6 cylinder can be a bit harder to change plugs on than a 2.5i but can be done with patience..lol. Valve cover replacement suck even worse for an H6
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

^^^^ Ohk no :lol: this guy has a different type of problem LOL!

You should do a base level maintenance first I will do this every 30K for my 08 2.5i eventho the book calls for different. at 30K i changed fuel, air, cabin, and oil filters in addition to that i changed plugs. My car even with 30K on the clock ran better than before.

If i were you I would change the plugs and fuel filter then see what improvement follows. Getting to your plugs isn't that difficult the most difficult is the rear driver side (Cyl #5 i think) you can do it.

hahah:lol:

yeah im not worrying about a throttle controller just yet. maybe down the road but certainly not anytime soon. that will just be an add-on toy to play around with. for now i need to stick to finding a REAL solution, not just a band-aid. :)

so back to the mpg problem. all filters (air, fuel, oil, cabin) were replaced by the audi/porsche dealer that i bought the car from (3 weeks ago). there was no mention of plugs, so i dont really know how long they've been in the car. it definitely looks tight down there... a lot tighter than my old 96 outback sport:wub:

I've read that its taking guys a few hours to do on the GT's, so im not sure how bad it would be for the H6. I'm assuming the process is the same: remove what I can from the engine compartment (ie. battery, and airbox), and then just bust my knuckles. Any other tips?

hahah:lol:

yeah im not worrying about a throttle controller just yet. maybe down the road but certainly not anytime soon. that will just be an add-on toy to play around with. for now i need to stick to finding a REAL solution, not just a band-aid. :)

so back to the mpg problem. all filters (air, fuel, oil, cabin) were replaced by the audi/porsche dealer that i bought the car from (3 weeks ago). there was no mention of plugs, so i dont really know how long they've been in the car. it definitely looks tight down there... a lot tighter than my old 96 outback sport:wub:

I've read that its taking guys a few hours to do on the GT's, so im not sure how bad it would be for the H6. I'm assuming the process is the same: remove what I can from the engine compartment (ie. battery, and airbox), and then just bust my knuckles. Any other tips?

yeah you should not pay attention to those thread. HAHA that or those guys should not be changing plugs. The biggest issue is the a the frame rail taper inward as you move towards the firewall to cylinders 5 and 6 (5 more so due to driver side things like battery, fuse box, brake booster, etc ) will be a little more difficult to get at. You can 100 percent do it. But if you can find a reasonable shop to do it for you I guess you cant forgo piece of mind.

the car is in the shop today to get the rear wheel bearings replaced under warranty... hoping that might contribute to a bit better gas mileage.

then it will be onto the plugs. I really have no reservations about taking a day and doing them myself. Just didnt know what surprises I'd have to endure. brake booster hadnt even crossed my mind.

Archived