LegacyGT.com

AC turning on randomly?

mmm def

I never have my CC on auto, like to do it myself. Usually I get in the car, set it to 69, turn off the AC, lower the fan to min and set it to floor, so pretty much 100% manual mode. Every once in a while I'll be driving and the AC will turn on, any ideas why it would do this?

Great question! mine does the same I've noticed. Also when I change the temperature I've noticed that the direction of airflow (def., vents or floor) will change as I do it. Have you experienced this as well?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I know what happened.

This morning when I turned on the CC, AC didn't come on so I just let it be. This I'm guessing was the partial override mode, so that's why the AC came on since I didn't hit anything. I just thought if I have the AC off and leave it at a certain temp, it will stay off. I have read that post before, makes more sense to me now.

Thanks.

AC will come on and override your manual setting if you have a defroster mode enabled. Also, if you let the CC control the airflow, it starts up in defrost mode (when the ambient temperature is blow your set temp) and then goes to Defrost+floor then floor. If it's above freezing, then the AC will come on automatically to remove the moisure and keep the windows fog free. Also, if you hit the defrost button the AC will come on..

Archived