LegacyGT.com

Need Advice & Q's On Sways & Springs

GULLABLE0NE

so i'm shopping and trying to research springs for my 08 LGT. i'm looking for a slight drop and it seems that PINKS or Tein H Techs give the slightest drop. From what i've found both springs drop about .9 F&R but the PINKS cost almost double and don't show up used too often. Are the PINKS worth the extra money? or will I be satisfied with the Tein H Techs? I will leave the on the stock struts till they pop, then I will likely go for the bilsteins. Anybody with good/bad experience or knowledge please chime in.

now i'm also in the market for front and rear sway bars. are there any differences between the cobb, perrin, rllitek, avo or whiteline, besides the diameter of the bar? i beleive they are all tubular and non-adjustable. also what endlinks are prefered? and do i need to buy the bushings and endlinks?

thanks for the help in adance, i'm not very knowledgeable in the suspension dept. but i would love to drop a little ride height, reduce body roll, and maybe enhance handling.

the pinks i believe are much stiffer...so harsher ride

the h techs are stock feeling ride comfort

as for sway bars...they come with bushings already. if you buy a rear sway bar dont forget to buy the reinforcement mounts

some of the sway bars are adjustable...for me..i think that is useful.

endlinks....you mind as well when you do the bar.

thanks for the input. just out of curiousity why do you reccomend the perrins? other than being red of course!!

Perrins come with reinforcement brackets and bushings. The only others that do, AFAIK, are Cobb and those are discontinued. Side note, some people have been fine with OEM endlinks on bigger bars where others have killed them. My $.02 is upgrade while you're there. Kartboys are a good bang for the buck.;)

Vogtland makes a spring with a mild drop and progressive spring rate. Have them on my stock struts for over a year now, no complaints. Here's a pic of the stance:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/N_sane88/Project%20Layla/IMG_0032small2.jpg

The Rallitek sway bars aren't tubular, they are solid. I recommend/will be purchasing their sway bars, their customer service is top notch if you arent satisfied with a product.

A lot of people are doing fine with their stock endlinks, if you must change them, I'd also recommend the Rallitek HD. They are OEM design with beefier materials/construction.

+2 on Kartboy links. What ever you do, stay away from spherical bearing links, they are way more prone to failure and will not last nearly as long as links with poly bushings.

The Perrin bars are good, the are three way adjustable stiffness and have good reviews. Keep in mind that the Perrin bars are stiffer and are geared towards a more aggressive set up.

COBB bars are also good. Thinner diameter then the Perrin and will be a little more forgiving during hard cornering.

Judging by what you are describing, you may want to consider going with the COBB "Stage 2" susp kit. http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=4135

im not sure if a super aggressive setup is what im looking for. im looking to drop about an inch and lose some of the body roll for spirited driving. this car will never see a drag strip or autoX but since i am adding power, i would like to upgrade the suspension, brakes will be next. i've looked at the cobb stage 2 package but their springs drop just a little more than i'd like. the tein H techs drop .5 less in front and .25 less in rear. the extra .5 and .25 make me feel better in snowy conditions for ground clearance.

I disagree. You need more of a drop in the front to get rid of that "saggy butt" look. The H techs give you the same drop all around. You're choice. I have almost a 2" drop in the front and my car is a beast in the snow. Granted, it plows a bit in deep snow, but hey, **** it. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't researched this as much as I should have. For what it's worth, I plan on upgrading my mostly stock 2009 LGT to rallitek springs with stock struts... eventually put koni's on when stock struts need to be replaced.

I went the route of Tien H techs on KYB (stocker) struts coupled with Perrin 22mm F&R sways. I have no complaints. You will reduce ride height (not too extreme, but noticeably) and significantly decrease bodyroll. It wont be eliminated or feel like a Sti, but it sure beats the OEM feel.

My feelings on springs: Pinks would be great, but i didnt have the cash for them. Tien H techs are a viable alternative, as the ride is really manageable. Not too harsh. Road irregularities are more noticable, but still are hidden pretty nicely by the H techs. The great thing about them is that they drop your height and by nature arent extremely stiff of a spring. So the ride is manageable. However, when coupled with sways, the body roll is eliminated which would have been accomplished by choosing a stiffer spring- so u get a softer ride, but less body roll with the H techs and sways (best of both worlds).

My feelings on my sways: I went the route of 22mm Perrins. I chose perrins because i wanted a solid bar. Also, they come with rear mounts and are afforable. I sold my Perrin mounts in the classifieds and put the money towards AVO mounts, as they are a bit sturdier. I decided not to go with endlinks yet, as i rly didnt have the $ to allocate for them, but will eventually buy Ralliteks, as they keep the same shape as factory links, but beef up the design and have a 5 yr warranty. Spherical endlinks, as stated previously, have a high fail rate (steer clear). When i do get rallitek endlinks, i will switch my sway setup from the softer to the stiffer setting. There soft for now, so that i dont put too much stress on the factory endlinks.

Here are some pics to show the difference in ride height

Pic 1) Front Befor

Pic 2) Front After

Pic 3) Rear Before

Pic 4) Rear After

Pic 5)Full Stance on Tien H Techs

Note, i did not install saggy butt shims with my H techs, and dont believe they are necessary as other members indicate they are. You have the pics, so judgement is yours if you choose to go this route.

Hope this helps!!

SSPX0696.thumb.jpg.8ac24ab0964091c78c18263eddb2b3cf.jpg

SSPX0698.thumb.jpg.c99e72756b8ea4b051437c17be10aa05.jpg

SSPX0695.thumb.jpg.ad2525881f13c9bf68d0f85f775df2d4.jpg

SSPX0699.thumb.jpg.04a910a8ff7723a7e8e8ade5286e746b.jpg

SSPX0697.thumb.jpg.8716012d74709bdfbe101a9f4dc22701.jpg

thanks for the input Bagheera!! the drop looks very mild yet noticable and appears to be very drivable as a DD which is what i'm looking for. as for the sways, any regrets on the 22mm instead of getting the 25mm? i've found several members with 22mm's wishing they had gotten the 25mm's. i dont want to over do it by going 25mm F & R so i've been contemplating 25 for the front and 22 for the rear. it seems others have been experienced losing the rear end with the 25mm bar in the rear

yea, ive read alot of ppl saying they wish they went for 25mm......and i wonder what for. I guess the response would be more snappy and mabye theyre trying to reduce bodyroll even more. Ive got mine set on soft all around and can still notice the difference. Ill eventually adjust to the stiff setting once i upgrade endlinks (non-spherical) and im sure will feel the bars a little more. IMO, 22mm should do the trick for a daily driver.

I was looking for a setup which I would feel comfortable downshifting upon approaching a corner and gassing through. Ive been driving for the past few days and feel comfortable when doing so (Note: 3 weeks after i got my GT I salvaged it as i ended up hitting a guard rail from driving a little to fast on a turn, so i know what body roll can do). Im not really looking to slow down, as id rather continue to drive how i love. Now, i feel safer doing so.

That said, the H techs arent coilovers or something as nice as a Koni+swift combo, but i feel they get the job done for me given my situation (broke and looking for work).

Queens isnt too far. Id be happy to meet up sometime (perhaps off of the Hutch) and you could get a feel for my setup to gauge if its something for you.

Best,

Mike

sounds like you knew what you were wanted before you got it, and then got what you were looking for. i'm not expecting drastic changes or miracles, just noticable differences while reainging comfort and driveability. my schedule has been busy as hell lately so finding time to meet may be hard but id love to meet up since yo seem to know your stuff.

im sure there are plenty of members who know their stuff more then me (id prolly have a hard time fully explaining oversteer and understeer correctly lol). My situtation was that shortly after getting my GT, I had an incident which put it in the body shop for nothing short of a couple months. Needless to say, i had alot of downtime to mourn my loss and research what I wanted for it upon its return. Ive now had it back for a few weeks and just finished installing all of my suspension upgrades. Im happy where its at for the most part. Dollar for dollar, i dont think i would have done much different.

I will say that living in queens with all those city roads, perhaps upgrading struts with your springs would be a good idea. I only say this as sometimes if i hit a drastic deformation in the road, i can really hear the strut complaining (dampening), and it makes me curse the state for road conditions. Idk though, mabye sticking with a KYB strut would be better for you, as you could just change struts if yours happen to blow out. With city roads, the stock strut may be in for alot of work constantly dampening a stiffer spring- as it would put more stress on the strut. My plan is to ride mine out till they die, then fully revamping my suspension, as hopegully ill have about a grand to allocate towards it, not just a few hundred dollars.

after lots of searching, inquires, and good old input from my subie tech and other members i have finally decided on a setup. 22mm perrin F&R sways and tein H-tech springs. i still haven't decided on which endlinks to go with because perrin rear endlinks are no longer available and the fronts are, I would like to get a matched set of endlinks. i'm thinking about the avo endlinks. are there any advantges/ disadvantages between the solid and adjustable endlinks?

Good call on the endlinks. I just did the 22mm perrin in F&R and within a week or two already broke my driver side front endlink (i decided not to do endlinks as i was trying to save a few bucks). Ive heard good things about Kartboy endlinks as well as Ralliteks. Ill prolly end up ordering a set of Rallitek endlinks for the front (they have a 5 yr warranty). They also keep the same construction as stock endlinks, but are beefier. The only thing ppl say to stay away from are spherical endlinks as theve been known to break. I think AVOs are shperical idk.

Another note, on the Tien H techs.... After a few more days of riding on them. Id describe them as a spring that gives a comfortable drop, not an aggressive setup. THe ride rly isnt any much harsher than stock but body roll prolly isnt as reduced as it would be with say Swifts.

Archived