LegacyGT.com

suspension replacement job

Hey everyone my 98 GT just turned 145,000 last week, and I have seen that the ride is noticeably lower in the rear compared to the front. I have been told that the suspension is going, so I'm ready to fix it! But after talking with a few local people about replacing shocks/struts/sway arms, etc., I'm as confused as ever. I want to eliminate the "bouncing" feel that has started to work its way into my legacy, and be able to do it myself. Obviously I want something sporty too :D

Any suggestions on what parts I'll need for a firmer ride, manufacturers to look out for, and where I can find pages for DIY?? I've looked everywhere, but I've gotta be looking in the wrong places, which really bugs me.

Push down on one corner of the car and then let go. It should come back up and settle without any 'bouncing.' If it bounces, you need new struts. If the suspension is sagging, you need new springs. If you want it lower / stiffer / etc, you need both.

Replacing struts is pretty simple (remove wheels, unbolt strut, bolt in new strut, replace wheel), but you'll either need to rent a spring compressor or take them to a shop to have the springs mounted. I can't really comment on brands, but I'd stay away from the ebay specials.

It definitely bounces (tried that test, thanks!) and it does sit lower than I would expect it to.

Hmm...spring compressor. But if I would want to replace both, I'd need to pop the springs out, right? That would probably get more involved I'm guessing, because that spring needs to come out. Have you ever done anything like this? I saw the jeep so I'd guess that's a yes haha...looks good!

KYB GR-2 replacements are about as equal as the OEM struts. Very good quality, and they are relatively cheap. You can find them from Ebay sellers for a really good price most of the time with free shipping.

I swapped the springs on my 91 with springs from an 04wrx, and it wasn't a very difficult task. I loaned a spring compressor from the auto parts store, and did it that way. It's really self explanatory getting the spring off. Just a couple of steps, not too complicated.

Getting the strut off, I suggest a lot of PB Blaster so you aren't breaking any bolts, and an impact wrench. Either Air or Electric.

I've taken struts on and off the car 5 or 6 times now, and of course the 1st one, the 1st time will be the hardest. Once you get to the 4th you'll catch on.

You'll need a spring compressor no matter what. A strut is basically just a shock with a spring attached to it, so if you want to replace either one you'll have to get the springs off.

You can replace your struts by yourself, with nothing more than a floor jack, one jack stand and some hand tools. I've done all sorts of work to my vehicles in apartment parking lots with only hand tools, including lifting the Jeep (which is somewhat comparable to replacing your struts). Actually, no mechanic has touched any of my vehicles for anything other than state inspections and alignments in at least five years.

Penetrating oil is always your friend for old, rusty bolts; spray them once or twice a day for a few days beforehand and also tap the nut with a hammer to loosen up any rust. I'd make some recommendations other than PB Blaster though...see below.

"The April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop did a test of penetrating oils where they measured the force required to loosen rusty test devices. Buy the issue if you want to see how they did the test. The results reported were interesting. The lower the number of pounds the better. Mighty interesting results for simple acetone and tranny fluid!

Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce

None ................. 516 pounds .

WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25

PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35

Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21

Kano Kroil ........ 106 pounds .. $0.75

ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10

The ATF-Acetone mix was a 50/50 mix (1 to 1 ratio)."

I tried to decapitate myself replacing struts in a 1980 BRAT - remeber those - doing it the WRONG way! Then I got smart and bought spring compressors from Sears (Craftsman) and it was so darn easy it was a shame. Still a bit scary but it can be done.

If you do this job once than try and rent/borrow the tools but if your going to do it more than once in your life buy the tools as they last and are not that expensive.

Good luck - be safe - springs are strong and ... well ... springy. Doing it with the wrong tools will be like trying to cut the nails of a tomcat. Do it right and its a 10 minute job (per spring),

Archived