LegacyGT.com

Has Anyone Had to Replace the Sunroof Track...

cohenfive

we have an 05 lgt limited wagon and a few weeks ago the sunroof track evidently broke. now the sunroof won't open/close properly or seal. the bummer is the dealer is telling us that they basically have to replace everything but the glass to fix it, to the tune of $1000 in parts for the track and probably almost the same for labor....:eek::eek::eek:

i'm trying to figure out if we are getting hosed or is this just the way it's going to be. sort of sux to spend $2k on a car that's only worth what the subi is now worth, but we do love the sunroof--one of the reasons we bought the car in the first place.

i'm going to post this over on the main forum as well to see if there are others who have had similar problems.

thanks

:eek:WOW! I haven't had any problems with my sunroof, but there is another thread here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111077

about aftermarket sunroofs. Sounds like you could get a whole new sunroof for around $1000. I see your avatar is a wagon, so I don't know whether you could find a sunroof as big as the OEM 2-panel unit, but it sounds like something to look into.

Well, it is true that the sunroof is a whole unit. And, it isn't cheap.

But, there is a way around it, and that is to find a salvage unit. That way you can take either the whole thing, or just take out what you need. The parts are removeable, but for some reason subaru does not like to make replacement tracks or anything else within it for that matter.

FWIW, it isn't difficult. Especially in a wagon, there is a lot more room to do this yourself.

This just happened to me with my 2005 Outback XT Limited. The front of the sunroof was only closing on one side. I thought fixed it but then it started again. I just (today) returned from the local Subaru dealer and I also was told the new sunroof track was $1100 for the parts alone.

However, they told me Subaru would pay for most of it, and I would only have to pay $250 TOTAL! That is for parts and labor. Not sure why they are offering me this because my car is no longer under warranty, I did not purchase it from them (I bought it used, I'm the second owner) and the car has 43k miles on it. The service manager told me that they would do this since the car was still close to being out of warranty (36k) but I'm not sure that's the real reason. Perhaps Subaru is acknowledging that there is a design/parts defect.

I would check with another dealer to see if you can get the deal I got. If you can't, let me know and I'll ask my dealer more.

LJ

curious, have you guys been cleaning and oiling the tracks in your sunroof?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

just because it goes into the dealer doesn't mean they clean and lube it. just curious. I recently had to clean mine and put a coat of lube on the rails. it was squeaky when it closed.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

This just happened to me with my 2005 Outback XT Limited. The front of the sunroof was only closing on one side. I thought fixed it but then it started again. I just (today) returned from the local Subaru dealer and I also was told the new sunroof track was $1100 for the parts alone.

However, they told me Subaru would pay for most of it, and I would only have to pay $250 TOTAL! That is for parts and labor. Not sure why they are offering me this because my car is no longer under warranty, I did not purchase it from them (I bought it used, I'm the second owner) and the car has 43k miles on it. The service manager told me that they would do this since the car was still close to being out of warranty (36k) but I'm not sure that's the real reason. Perhaps Subaru is acknowledging that there is a design/parts defect.

I would check with another dealer to see if you can get the deal I got. If you can't, let me know and I'll ask my dealer more.

LJ

\

i'd love to know the dealer as i'd rather do some digging and try to find out if there's a known issue than be charge $2000 for our repair. thanks!!

Hi Cohenfive,

My quote was from Annapolis Subaru in Maryland. The parts should be in next week and the work done on Wed. Their quote was for $250 parts and labor included. I will let you know how it all went. I don't have the number handy but will be glad to get it to you if you can't get it from Google. PM me for any info and my number.

LJ

Archived