LegacyGT.com

Goodbye HID, Hello LED

outahere

^ You suck - for a minute there, I had thought you'd actually retrofitted the Audi's system, on your BP. :p

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ You're evil, Quacker! :lol:

BTW, outahere, lemmie introduce you to my local LERSOC (Lake Erie Regional Subaru Owners Club) brother - and a total bad influence - Quack. Don's a really good guy, and had a wicked little peanut-eye WRX wagon, which he introduced me to on my first tune-date with the club.

Quack, outahere is one of our resident lighting experts - you'll find posts such as these: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97780&highlight=85w - in which he helped guide me through some wiring concerns for up-wattage H3 fogs in the '05-'07 variant BL/BP (so you can understand why, when I read the thread title, and saw that he was the author, I'd thought that he did the conversion). He's also a resident expert on winter tires.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ Yeah, and if you knew how crazy about lighting outahere is, you'll understand why I got soooooooo excited! :p

I'd say i'm a lighting enthusiast.

I'm just a broke one with other priorities. :lol:

I think it comes from my constant desire for something new.

thats probably not good for my future relationships huh? :lol:

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

^ :lol: ROFL.

I think that we all know what's gonna happen.

Some poor (rich) bloke in an Audi R8 V-10's gonna get jacked - not for the car, but his lights. :lol:

very interesting article. R&D is always changing the industry, technology, standards, options thus products available to the public. this is something that is seeminlgy gonna take over the auto industry...i was just suprised to see that the incentive is only about an avg of $5-17 per yr (assuming a 15,000 mile driving cycle per yr). i would think that for LEDs to be making so much noise, theyd have to offer more in savings...either way its pretty cool

• 1 year later...

Here are the full LED, adaptive headlights available as optional equipment on the 2012 (2011?) Mercedes CLS. Retrofit that, baby!:cool::lol:

http://www.al-lighting.de/index.php?id=1427&lang=en

A very complex lamp, with about 350 parts. That will cost a small fortune to replace if damaged in a fender bender.:eek:

Comments from an editorial at drivingvisionnews.com:

"..........Last week, I was invited by Uwe Kostanzer from Mercedes to drive the new CLS.

I really discovered what a good light is, what the world's best light at the end 2010 is like:

- Light on the road:

In low beam and high beam, there is an addition of 3 great advantages: colour, homogeneity and high level of light on the road. If the 2 first advantages are already known for LED technology, the level of light from the left side to the right side of windshield is very surprising. There is not anymore need of more light anywhere.

- Intelligent lighting:

1) in the dynamic bending light only the hot spot is moving avoiding the impression of dancing light as current bending lights and the static bending light is a real complement of main low beam.

2) the adaptive cut-off follows regularly the lights of the opposite cars.

3) the most important is that the speed of the shift from low to high or high to low depends of the position of opposite cars. When cars are arriving from far, it is a pleasure to see such a smooth change............"

"............With good Xenon light, the flux on the road is between 900Lm and 1,100Lm. So to have better light than Xenon, we need to have more than 1,100Lm on the road.

If we consider:

1) A LED chip to-day emits of around 150Lm.

2) Only 50% of the light arrives on the road (some lighting suppliers announce 60% with LED vs 35% with Xenon).

It means that if we want to have more than 1,100Lm on the road, we need 2,200Lm from the light sources and therefore we need 2,200Lm/150lm = 15 LED chips.

So in order to beat Xenon as far as quantity of light is concerned, more than 15 current LEDs have to be packed together for the low beam or 4 LED modules (of 4 chips each) as used in Mercedes CLS and Audi A7.

So lighting players proved that the LED technology may provide more light on the road than Xenon.............."

I really think new cars should come with brush bars, standard.

Archived