LegacyGT.com

1993 Legacy Slows Down & Dies

Hi,

My 93 Legacy has had an ongoing issue for several months. While driving along it starts slowing down and dies. It feels as if it's running out of gas. It happens going up hills and on flat stretches. It could happen one day and then not happen again for weeks. After waiting a minute or so, it starts up and goes on its way.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Warren

Hi, Thank you for responding. Moisture isn't an issue because we live in southern AZ. When dies, it acts like a car does when running out of gas. It just looses power. You try to keep it going by giving it gas but nothing happens. When trying to start it immediately it just cranks and doesn't start. Usually it will start on the third or fourth try. But, it runs really rough. If I wait about a minute or so it'll start quicker but still runs rough. Most of the time there won't be another occurance for a while -- days, weeks. Although, one time on a straight away it died and it died four more times before I got it home. But, the next day it ran fine. This last incident was two days ago but it had been a few weeks since the last time.

Thank you again. If you have any ideas I really could use the help. This is my daughter's vehicle and it worries me to let her take this out.

Warren

any CEL??

sounds like a loose ground or something. check all ur connections to the battery and alternator. check the positive wire going to ur starter and make sure its not loose or rusted. also check all ur vacuum lines, fuel pump and cataltic converter. these are steps to finding the problem. u dont have to replace them just check them and make sure there in proper working order. id even give it a tune up if u havent already...(new plugs, wires, air filter and fuel filter should be a good start) im not sure if u have autozones or something by u but they will check ur charging and other minor things for free or a small fee.

• 2 weeks later...
I had a similar issue, it felt like the car was suddenly only running on two cylinders, but the problem wold go away on its own. Turned out to be the coil pack. (note: testing these with a voltmeter can be inconclusive but for $30. spent at a junkyard it was worth a try and now runs like a champ again) FYI mine was a 91 Legacy Turbo. Good luck.

ya so i have the same problem. and it also only happens like once a week or so. it will suddenly start to die as if running out of gas. i switched the fuel pump from another Subaru. my fuel pump was kinda scummed on the initial filter screen on the gas intake on the pump. the used one i put in came from a subi with 185,000 miles so it could be bad too but it was clean. then i replaced the fuel filter with a new one. the old one had a lot of rust and scum in it so that was defiantly a issue but just recently i started having the issue again. it was good for a few months but now its starting again. Before it was really bad tho. everyday it happened and almost around any corner especially if i tried to go fast around it. but with my issue i can start the car fine everytime and anytime it dies. i'm guessing i just need to buy a new fuel pump and there's no scum on the bottom of the gas tank i checked when it was empty.

Archived