LegacyGT.com

exterior care

I've dealt with them before. Their shipping is pretty high priced, but the products are good. You can get products anywhere though. I do most of my shopping either from autogeek.net or premiumautocare.com. The shipping rates are lower and the product cost is usually the same.

If you are looking at getting a kit like the one you linked, then you should check out something like this. Wolfgang is probably my favorite product line so far. I used to be a major product tester and for awhile I tried everything that came out. Wolfgang has pleased me more than any other product I have used. Definitely something that I would recommend to anybody. It has a lot of what is in that other package you were looking at.

The key things to start with are going to be as follows:

Soap

Clay

Polish

Paint Cleaner

Sealant/Wax

Wheel cleaner

Tire protectant

Rubber/Vinyl Protectant

Lots of microfiber towels

Glass cleaner

Leather Conditioner

If you have a good product for each of those areas then you are off to a good start. I've got a product review section on OCDetails.com that might be useful in looking for things to fill those catagories. I'm no longer affiliated with any company that sells products, so you can trust that what I have written on OCDetails is just my feeling and not my attempt to push product on anybody. I just care that people get pointed in the right direction. I know the guy who runs PremiumAutoCare.com very well and I know he looks out for people who are looking for the best products for their purposes. Definitely a guy I can recommend without fear.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Highly recommend http://www.autopia-carcare.com great stuff, good shipping, and good prices.. They also have tutorials about detailing a car which taught me some new tricks, and really sped things up for me..

yeah i've been a member on that forum for a while. i just didn't want to go to the hassle of buying each product, i was hoping to get a complete kit ... oh well, i guess i'll get individual things.

i'm pretty sure i want klasse, but i'll look into wolfgang.

thanks.

Trust me... I am a huge fan of Klasse. I'm Jngrbrdman over on Autopia and my love of AIO is the stuff legends are made of. lol However, AIO on a new car like yours isn't going to be anywhere near as impressive as Wolfgang. AIO is a kickass paint cleaner that will restore oxidized surfaces and really make the car come back alive again. My guess is your car doesn't need that kind of love yet. That Wolfgang kit has the wash and paint care products that will make your car really stand out. The other stuff in the CMA kit are things that are easily replaced by products you can buy locally. Eagle One A2Z is an awesome wheel/tire cleaner that rivals Eimann Fabrik. The Absorber is just as good of a drying tool as a water sprite. The other items are equally easy to find substitutions for. However, you will not find a substitute or anything that comes close to Wolfgang off the shelf. It is really an outstanding looking product that everybody appreciates. I don't think I've ever read a legitimate negative review of the product.

OCDETAILS BLOG

OCD, those engine bay pics are amazing. i can never get my engine that clean. oh, and you might think about using simple green in the engine ... it really cuts through a lot of stuff and won't damage any parts ... i don't know what you use now, but i'm sure you're using more than just soap.

The only thing soap is good for under the engine is to clean up the painted surfaces. lol The rest of the time I am using either a foaming engine degreaser or diluted Simple Green. Simple Green will stain plastics if you aren't careful, so I usually do most of the cleaning with brushes and rags. I try not to go too crazy spraying stuff under the hood. CD2 is still any engine detailer's best friend. ;)

OCDETAILS BLOG

One of my very favorite tools in the world was something I could find only at griotsgarage.com for the longest time. I was surprised to see it at Home Depot last weekend. Its this really cool window cleaning tool. Its a triangle on a handle and it lets you get those hard to reach areas. I'll have to find a link for it. It really is the best tool I have. I hate doing windows and this makes it so easy to do that. I'll have to find a link.... its a great too. I wonder if Griot's still carries it?

OCDETAILS BLOG

There is very little in the Meguiar's lineup that has ever disappointed me. However, there are some products and appearances that they just haven't ever come up with a product to provide. Their #20 polymer sealant for example is really substandard in the appearance department even though it gives great protection. I'm a huge fan of sticking with what works for your personal needs, so if one manufactuer provides everything you want, then by all means stick with it. The alternative is very very very very expensive. lol I could have bought a boat with all the money I've spent in car care products in the last few years.

OCDETAILS BLOG

My world can be made complete at http://www.griotsgarage.com. :D

Kevin

:lol: Mine too! :D

Waiting on my latest order to arrive....$192.00 in new and replinished supplies.

I also picked up the Portal Cable Random Orbital that Griot's recomends (and sells for $179.99) from Coastal Tool (HERE) for $126.50 including shipping! Should make polishing and waxing much quicker than by hand! :D

so the first time i use the wolfgang products, should i use a wax stripper like dawn to get the old factory/dealer wax off or will the wolfgang cleaner take it off for me?

i've never liked the idea of using dish soap on my car, but i'm wondering if it will help the sealant bond better.

OCD i'm looking your way for some advice.

There isn't anything wrong with using something like Dawn once in awhile to strip old wax off the car. However, with the first step of the Wolfgang process you won't really need to worry about it. The Wolfgang paint cleaner will more than take care of any wax that is on the surface. You can wash with normal soap and not worry about anything.

The soap you use doesn't have anything to do with the bonding of the sealant. All you need is a clean and well preped surface. The Wolfgang pre cleaner will do the job you need it to do and provide an excellent base for the sealant. Besides, if you are also going to clay then that should help clean up a lot of what Dawn would be removing anyway. Zaino is the only product that even suggests using Dawn, although I can't figure out why. Other than the fact that Zaino doesn't really have a pre cleaner product, it seems to be an unneccessary recomendation. Its not going to hurt your car if you wash with dawn a couple times a year. Modern paint is much stronger than it was back in the day when that kind of detergent would hurt anything.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived