LegacyGT.com

what are your thoughts on a Subaru performance driving school?

Is a subaru performance driving school a good idea?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Is a subaru performance driving school a good idea?

• Where do I sign?
    • nah, don't wanna break my scooby
    • hmmm..... I dunno......

^+1 on the autox. Safe, controlled, and after going to a few events and getting used to everything you'll see exactly what you and your car can do at the limits (and in a competitive environment). Then after that, if that's not enough for you, go on some road courses and see how the car handles in a high speed setting.

I understand autos, but I am more towards instructional sessions and then see what you can do. Not so much to prove you're better than the next Guy, but to learn and open possibilities to aspiring racers... not to mention Subaru sales might rise...

Sure - are you ready for the cost of a pro school?

The Skip Barber two day high performance school (granted car is supplied) is $3,199.

If you want to learn how to drive, there are other lower-cost local options, such as the time trials held by COM SSC at NHMS for a couple of hundred bucks a day, and you don't need a roll cage, drivers suit etc. Other clubs hold events at Lime Rock.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Sure - are you ready for the cost of a pro school?

The Skip Barber two day high performance school (granted car is supplied) is $3,199.

If you want to learn how to drive, there are other lower-cost local options, such as the time trials held by COM SSC at NHMS for a couple of hundred bucks a day, and you don't need a roll cage, drivers suit etc. Other clubs hold events at Lime Rock.

car is supplied, but that is a specialized car. a nascar race car to be precise and they drive much much faster than we would...

car is supplied, but that is a specialized car. a nascar race car to be precise and they drive much much faster than we would...

I think you are getting the programs confused. The high performance program (driving school) uses street cars, such as Porsche 911, Lotus Elise, or BMW M3. The regular driving school uses Mazda RX-8, Mazda 3, or Miatas. It's the racing school that use 2.0L formula cars or spec Miatas.

The driving program at Skip Barber is good. I did it before they started using sports cars; they had dodge neons, pick-ups, and Vipers before then, and it was all about car control. We did not go on the road course then, but it looks like they've changed the program since then. It is good to attend one of those programs, but you really need to continue performance driving to get practice and maintain those skills.

As mentioned before, the best bet would be to attend some HPDE, where as a novice you go out with an (volunteer) instructor in your own car and test your own limits. Eventually, one you are deemed to not be a hazard to yourself or to others, you can solo.

Again, COMSCC holds an HPDE on the first day of their events, which transitions to a time trial on the second. They are a good group, with a lot of members and instructors that own Subarus. There are plenty of other driving clubs in the New England area - SCDA, NASA, even BMWCCA.

I think you are getting the programs confused. The high performance program (driving school) uses street cars, such as Porsche 911, Lotus Elise, or BMW M3. The regular driving school uses Mazda RX-8, Mazda 3, or Miatas. It's the racing school that use 2.0L formula cars or spec Miatas.

The driving program at Skip Barber is good. I did it before they started using sports cars; they had dodge neons, pick-ups, and Vipers before then, and it was all about car control. We did not go on the road course then, but it looks like they've changed the program since then. It is good to attend one of those programs, but you really need to continue performance driving to get practice and maintain those skills.

As mentioned before, the best bet would be to attend some HPDE, where as a novice you go out with an (volunteer) instructor in your own car and test your own limits. Eventually, one you are deemed to not be a hazard to yourself or to others, you can solo.

Again, COMSCC holds an HPDE on the first day of their events, which transitions to a time trial on the second. They are a good group, with a lot of members and instructors that own Subarus. There are plenty of other driving clubs in the New England area - SCDA, NASA, even BMWCCA.

hmmm.

No.

But there is a two day driving school and they are offering an end-of-season discount. I've been to it: you will learn a lot and there is no competitive pressure. $1,119.

http://www.skipbarber.com/driving_school/mazda/driving_school.aspx

http://www.skipbarber.com/landing_promotions.aspx

Team O'Neil will probably offer their one-day Winter Safety School through NESC as well - that's $300 or so.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived