LegacyGT.com

trans and rear diff oil change question

uniqsol

Pretty much any GL-5 oil, I'd say 80W-90 is a good starting point. Since this is going in the differential, I'd say stick with conventional.

And if it's an automatic transmission, use Dexron IV. Standard oil as well.

You could use synthetic, but the car has run just fine with standard oil for over 13 years, why change it now? They have to meet the same minimum guidelines anyway, the synthetic just breaks down a little slower. The problem is people think that synthetic means they never have to change their fluids anymore, which is not the case. Even if I used full synthetic everywhere I'd still follow the same fluid change intervals I always have.

+1

I use fully synthetic for nearly everything and I still do my fluid changes at 2000-2500 miles every time. Flushes aren't as frequent but they're often enough to make me happy.

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Thanks, I ended up calling subaru and they said that It is synthetic for the front and standard 80-90 for the rear. And it is not a lmited slip. Thanks for the info guys. Also, I plan on changing the oil in my tranny and differentials every fall (since this is my winter car) is that a good interval, or should I do it more often? I only put about 6k miles on this car per year.

• 3 weeks later...

ya we had a guy come into our dealership running Amsoil and hadn't changed his oil in almost 12K miles......

Synthetics are great and can free up some friction, but STILL have to be changed. i tend to lean toward the Amsoil gear lubes and usually Valvoline Max-life for the trans fluid. the only rear diff that needs a special fluid is the STi R180 with the clutch style diffs. that fluid is available in the parts department of you local dealer.

Thanks, I ended up calling subaru and they said that It is synthetic for the front and standard 80-90 for the rear. And it is not a lmited slip. Thanks for the info guys. Also, I plan on changing the oil in my tranny and differentials every fall (since this is my winter car) is that a good interval, or should I do it more often? I only put about 6k miles on this car per year.

Synthetic in the front? I work at a Subie dealer in the parts dept. and I've never heard that. The Subaru Extra-S gear oil we order directly from Subaru is a conventional 75w90 gear oil. I believe they also have a 80w90 gear oil as well but it's conventional as well.

We get it in 20qt pails and have a pump to disperse it into each vehicle. We don't actually bottle it and sell it by the quart, we just use it in our shop.

Now if you brought a container to us, I would gladly fill it. If you are looking to buy it online, 42Autosports on RS25 is selling it pre-bottled here.

Go Extra S is not straight dino IIRC.

12k using Amsoil SSO (PCMO) is perfectly fine. Changing out gear oil or tranny fluid in a sealed system that doesn't see any combustion byproducts any sooner than 30k is ridiculous. I plan to change out my rear diff with a good synthetic and forget about it - except for 30k inspections ; )

The part # for Extra S is K0322AA093. If you search you'll find a few places that rebottle it since 20L pales aren't very economical :lol: When I replace my tranny oil again - when ever that is :lol: - I'll most likely use Extra S. However, for the money, there are better diff oils.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

• 3 weeks later...

I use 75W90 Mobil® 1 Synthetic gear oil in my car, its cheap, it works great and is easy to get.

I usually change mine every 20,000 miles, due to the fact that my leggy is purely a winter car and usually spends its time spinning all 4 sideways around every corner it encounters.

Archived