LegacyGT.com

Clicking while turning left @ Dif/Tranny

First things first. It's not the CV Assembly because that is brand new. It is coming from the inboard side of the CV assembly and may be the differential? it only happens when turning 90 degrees left from a stop under moderate/full power or in sharp corners at speed under power. Does the same thing in first or second gear. Bearings are less than 12 months old so that's not it either. No noise under full acceleration when going straight.

Any thoughts? Where do I start? Do the viscous couplings go bad on these? I read that they are maintenance free. 177,000 miles and going strong. Like to keep it that way...

Thanks!

How can you be sure it's not the CV joints? Which ones did you replace? What year, model, trim level, engine, and transmission do you have? 2WD or 4WD?

Clicking from anywhere when turning only one direction at moderate power is indicant of a CV joint. That's my guess. I've had a few of these go in several cars and they're really easy to replace.

If you want to keep the car going strong, stop accelerating at moderate/full power while your front wheels are turned at full lock. You're just asking for problems at that point...

If you want to be sure get under the hood or under the car and grab a hold of the CV shaft and see if there is any play when you wiggle it. It should wobble, click, or even move.

Wheel bearing new as of January 09

CV assemblies new as of March 09

Is it possible the bearing install was bad? I didn't do it myself, but it was done by a shop in snow country that does a fair amount of Subaru work. Bearings are not brain surgery, so I figured they got it right...

Anyone know anything about the front dif/Tranny on this car?

Changed CV assembly. Still getting same noise. Chattering may be a better description. Every bearing problem I have ever had in the past has been constant regardless of power application or direction. This noise is not a bearing as far as I can tell.

• 4 weeks later...
First things first. It's not the CV Assembly because that is brand new. It is coming from the inboard side of the CV assembly and may be the differential? it only happens when turning 90 degrees left from a stop under moderate/full power or in sharp corners at speed under power. Does the same thing in first or second gear. Bearings are less than 12 months old so that's not it either. No noise under full acceleration when going straight.

Any thoughts? Where do I start? Do the viscous couplings go bad on these? I read that they are maintenance free. 177,000 miles and going strong. Like to keep it that way...

Thanks!

transfer clutches binding, or bearings/gears in transfer housing in tail of trans damaged. pull the bum off the trans and look around.

Archived