LegacyGT.com

HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is my Clutch Going???

DarkLegacy

That's the one. Get Jeremy at Fredbeans to put together a kit for you (I.e. flywheel & clutch of your choice) and ask for some special pricing.

Honestly, it will be about the same cost as a new OEM clutch, and you ARE using an OEM flywheel...

Joe

I have heard lots of bad things about spec clutches, had a stage 3+ in my old civic (300whp), and hated it. Very crappy engagement, and didnt last long either... I'd stick with the ACT. I absolutely love my ACT Stg3/HD with WRX single mass. Very smooth engagement, great driveability

I have heard lots of bad things about spec clutches, had a stage 3+ in my old civic (300whp), and hated it. Very crappy engagement, and didnt last long either... I'd stick with the ACT. I absolutely love my ACT Stg3/HD with WRX single mass. Very smooth engagement, great driveability

Hey Max713

That is currently the clutch I am looking into. I will be running stage 3 power levels probably in the upwards of 375-400whp so I have pretty much decided to scrap my idea of going with the ACT stage 2 clutch. Tell me about what happened with your transmission that you explained earlier and what can be done to avoids it. I was also going to have the tsk3 kit installed along with the clutch.

Also, tell me a little about the difference in the way it drives. I don't like alot of noise, but would tolerate just the have the right parts on my car.

Thanks

Hey Max713

That is currently the clutch I am looking into. I will be running stage 3 power levels probably in the upwards of 375-400whp so I have pretty much decided to scrap my idea of going with the ACT stage 2 clutch. Tell me about what happened with your transmission that you explained earlier and what can be done to avoids it. I was also going to have the tsk3 kit installed along with the clutch.

Also, tell me a little about the difference in the way it drives. I don't like alot of noise, but would tolerate just the have the right parts on my car.

Thanks

Within two weeks of installing the new ACT stg 3, I noticed a leak at the center of the car. Checked trans fluid and it was low, so it was determined that the input shaft seal was bad/leaking, which i pretty uncommon on our cars. Trans was taken in to a private shop for rebuild, when it was done I talked to the tech for a while. Not only was the seal chewed up, but both bearings behind the seal, inside the tranny were severly worn. The worn bearings allowed the input shaft to move from side to side, thus chewing up the seal

Theres not much you can do to avoid it, with the added torque levels and grabbier clutch on the higher mileage trans its bound to happen. It really didnt help that I drove the car for about a week with a leaking input shaft seal, resulting in horrible clutch chatter.

I love how the car drives, clutch engagement is smooth, not at all worse than my old stg 1 clutch, after a little time to get used to it of course. I dont know how to explain the driving difference, just different. I drive the car daily both on open highway and in rush hour traffic and I have no gripes.

And finally, clutches are rated by wtq, not whp. And 375-400wtq is a little excessive for a stg3 clutch. The ACT stg 3 is only rated to ~350wtq.

Hope this helps, lmk if I didnt answer all your questions.

How about an exedy clutch, I have the exedy stage 1 on my car now and it obviously was not the right stage clutch. But for a while the clutch felt great.

Can I use the exedy with the wrx fly

Im not sure, but most heavier clutches only work with single mass flywheels so I would think so.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't want to start a new thread...

I'm thinking my clutch may be going too. When it's cold I get a pretty pronounced shuddering when I let the clutch out in first gear only. After it's warmed up I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Is this a symptom of a dying clutch? Or could it be just the throw out bearing? I've read about the Tranquil TSK kits helping with what I think is this "shuddering" when engaging the clutch.

Thanks!

-Ian

Archived