LegacyGT.com

Just in time for holloween a spooky mystery about odd electrical issues in 98 outback

gpbakken

I've been having some odd electrical issues with my 1998 Legacy Outback.

on a seemingly random basis, all electrics will simply go "dead".

that being said, the car will "come alive" again, if the driver's door area is jarred hard enough, usually slamming the driver's door will be enough, although occasionally a much lighter jolt will do. the clock on the radio resets to 12:00 when this happens. the connection to the battery is solid, and the terminals clean. the battery and alternator are about a year old. plug wires and plugs are brand new, starter is also about a year old.

Also, at times the electrical seems weak, this is manifested by the following situations- with the headlamps and foglamps on, depressing the brake will momentarily cause the headlamps and foglamps to flicker off and on again, nothing more than a fraction of a second worth of a flash.

Idle speed tends to be about 600 to 650 rpm. however, this on rare occasion will drop to maybe 400 for a moment and then spring back up, to 700-800 then settle back to about 650.

Can anyone offer any advise or suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

Grant

eekay -*laugh* yeah, I've never been one to do things half-way.

onebad, platinum, pillboy- I'll check for ground cable issues- I suppose that'd sap enough voltage to make it appear that the alternator's weak too perhaps?

Platinum, how heavy would you recommend the copper to be for running another ground to chassis? I'd hate to see something burn up because I'm being cheap.

thanks again to all of you!

Archived