LegacyGT.com

Strange Coolant Levels?

Domain

I didn't find anything regarding this issue with search, so just curious if anyone else encouters this, or if i'm just being a little too neurotic about the car.

I've noticed everytime I stick my head under the hood, the coolant level varies significantly. The first time I checked it, the car was completely cold, and the coolant level was sitting at "Low". After starting the car, making a short drive and returning, the level was nearly full. Next time I checked when the car was completely cold, the level was still nearly full.

Last night while I was adding Power Steering fluid the car was again sitting at "Low" while cold. Not too long after I started the car, the coolant level rose to nearly full again, however when I woke up this morning it had once again returned to "Low".

Is this normal behavior? I'm a little confused as to what should be done here... leave it alone, or fill it up to full when it is low and it may rise above full when started?

Any information appreciated,

-----

Domain

Have you noted the ambient temps, at the various times that you were checking the coolant levels? Cooloant expands/contracts from heat/cold, both from warming up from engine heat & ambient temps.

I also noticed the coolant res. tank levels rising & falling, and have pretty much determined that it is all thermal expansion related. About the only thing that you can do, is to open the highest point on the system, which would be the tank above the turbo area, and then run the engine up to operating temps, and see if you might have any air trapped in the system.

Other than an obvious fluid leak/puddle, I can't think of any other reason as to why you are seeing such fluctuations.

Well, I live in Florida so the Ambient tempreature this time of year is fairly steady (70-75 degrees F nearly 24 hours a day). With that in mind I can't really see the sort of variances occuring normally.

I haven't opened either of the other points in the system, at least the two I see which are near the coolant resovior and the one near the turbo. The only other thing that I thought about was perhaps the engine is retaining fluid (not sure i'm phrasing this is a very technical manner here).

The real problem here however is what measurement to trust. I certainly don't want the car to be consistently low on coolant.... on the other hand I might not be a good thing to add more and have too much.

Any opinions?

-----

Domain

Try opening the upper cap, and running til the thermostat opens to rule out any air trapped in the system. Then check the level once it has cooled to ambient temps. Honestly, if you have fluid in the res. tank that is reasonably close to LOW, then I would leave it be.

Thanks again for your replies,

I checked the reservoir again a few minutes ago after the car was shut down, back up to 3/4 full again. I also contacted my dealer, where one of the mechanics owns a similiar vehicle and he said it shouldn't be an issue so long as it does not fall below "Low". He also thought the engine might be retaining fluid.

Anyway, i'll keep an eye on it, and maybe i'll add just a tad bit of fluid to be on the safe side.

Thanks again,

-----

Domain

I wouldn't worry about the overflow tank too much, it's not the critical path in the system. As long as it's above "low" you're fine. The most important thing is to make sure the radiator and entire cooling system is full. The only way to tell is by inspecting the highest point in the cooling system, which is the little reservoir next to the engine cover towards the passenger side (with the radiator cap on it)... If that's full when it's cold, you're fine..

I appreciate all the replies :)

I checked the highest point in the system as suggested and it was completely full, so I suppose there isn't a problem here. I've still been examining the reservoir tank every morning before I drive the car, and it remains exactly at the low mark so for now I guess i'll leave it alone.

Thanks again,

-----

Domain

Archived