LegacyGT.com

Ceramic coating of headers done...pics...

KurtP

• 2 weeks later...
Just my 0.02$. I've got a set of these (well, a knock off version, anyway). These are my impressions. First, they were an absolute bitch to install. I've been an aircraft mechanic for years, and I found the install difficult to say the least. You have to weld the down pipe to the passenger side collection of pipes first, then you install the drivers side, then you have to weld the remaining four slip joints. Do not, repeat, do not count on them not leaking unless you weld the joints. Also, do not wrap them. Yes, wrapping them contains the heat in the pipes, too well in fact. What happens is that the stainless steel overheats and fails very quickly when they are wrapped. Ceramic coating them is about the best you can do. What are my driving impressions? Well, it did fix a couple of problems that I've had with the car since day one. It fixed the stutter, so now it accelerates smoothly now. It also fixed the coarse, lumpy idle. It is now pretty smooth. This tells me that the stock sized exhaust manifolds and pipes are fine for a 2.0L WRX but too small for a 2.5L Legacy. I didn't really notice a loss in low or middle end power but it does spool up quicker and it accelerates much better on the highway. Two things I did notice was the the engine ran slightly cooler and I got about 10% better gas mileage. I still have mixed feelings if whether this is a good mod or not. If you plan to install these, be prepared for a lot of frustration. Weld the slip joints, use new gaskets, and re-tighten all the bolts periodically.

Yeah, its definitely not sand blasted.

I'm still up in the air about wrapping them. I may just bolt everything up and see how it runs. If it I think I want the last 10th Ill wrap everything and throw a turbo blanket on down the road maybe. I still plan on talking to a couple other people and getting opinions before I decide either way.

I will of course use all new gaskets, but I'm not welding anything on the header, and I don't foresee leaking at the slip joints.

... but I'm not welding anything on the header, and I don't foresee leaking at the slip joints.

All I can say is, good luck with that. I didn't foresee mine leaking either, and they did, and I was very methodical about installing them. I've heard others with these types of headers (i.e. slip joints) say the same thing, and they all ended up either removing the headers altogether, or welding them. But, who knows :confused:, you may beat the odds and yours won't leak.

• 5 months later...

No major issues. Someone did a before and after dyno at EFI and make some pretty substantial mid range gains with them, iirc, 30-35whp on a stage 2 car.

They sound pretty tinny/raspy from under the car, so I dont know if that is in fact the slip joints leaking like one member mentioned or if its just headers sounding like ass. I plan to have the car up on a lift later this week and check it out. If there is leakage at the slip joints Ill let you know. Im guessing there should be some visible evidence of them leaking if they are.

The EL is what I have. They just route the driver side bank of pipes a little different than the tomei/perrin set up you usually see.

Let me know if you decide on a set, Ill make you a deal on mine. Im looking at maybe going twin scroll this summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, for the record im pretty confident my headers are in fact leaking at the slip joints. I think it wasnt happening at first because the coating process sealed them off but it eventually heat cycled itself loose.

Next week Ill be dropping the headers to weld them or maybe brazen them to seal them back up.

I can't wait.

Archived