LegacyGT.com

'97 Legacy GT AT - Best kind of ATF?

Silly

Hello, this is my first post here, but i have learned a lot here already - thanks

My Legacy was shifting rough, checked it to have too much ATF so i drained some out (thank you Subaru for drain plugs on AT!!) and now it shifts perfect!! as good as to be expected for 188kMiles, but good.

I dont know what kind of ATF the prior owner used, but i know it calls for Dexron II . . can Dexron II and III be mixed??

I have a jug of Dexron III, and if i change out the fluid, I wont get it all out, and i dont want to create a bad mix. . .

i searched a bit.. . thought I would ask -

Thanks

Take off the tranny pan and get a new filter. Install the filter (You will need to unbolt the metal tube to get the filter out. Careful, a lot of fluid will come out). The filter will come with a new gasket. Clean the pan and the bottom of the transmission from the old gasket material and apply the new gasket. Once you are satisfied with the amount of Dexron II that you've removed, bolt the pan back up (It's a good idea to mop up all the gunk fluid) and fill the tranny with Dexron III. The torque converter will still be full of Dexron II, but you shouldn't worry about it. You can mix the Dexron II and the Dexron III in any proportion, but the Dexron III is an overall better choice when it comes to resistance to wear and overall efficiency, so you would want to get as much Dexron III in there as possible.

I'm currently using Dexron IV with wonderful success.

Archived