LegacyGT.com

Horsepower and Tourqe

ok well, when im stopped at red light, my car doesnt doesnt takeoff real fast, however, if i keep flooring it, after a certain RPM I can feel my car jerk forward and accelerate rapidly.

Does this mean i reach max torque at the RPM that my car "jerks" forward at?

so where can i get a horsepower wrench? i think i need one of those to mount my superduper charger

I can sell you a horsepower wrench.... $500.00 But I can include a coupon for a free 'Winter Air' tire refill for free! :D

ok well, when im stopped at red light, my car doesnt doesnt takeoff real fast, however, if i keep flooring it, after a certain RPM I can feel my car jerk forward and accelerate rapidly.

I call that turbo lag.

That's the VTEC.

VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO!!!!!1!!!! :lol:

I call that turbo lag.

Actually I'd call what Alter is describing being below the boost threshold. No matter how hard you hit the gas, there ain't no boost in the really low RPM range because there's not enough air moving through the motor fast enough. Turbo lag happens when you're spinning the motor fast enough to potentially build boost, but since the throttle opening is closed, you're not moving enough air to actually spin the turbine. If you hit the throttle at, say, 3500RPM after being off-throttle for a few seconds, and the turbo will take a few beats to spin up before it's building full boost. That's turbo lag. I tend to notice it most when getting back on the throttle mid-corner - if you wait to get on the gas until you know you already have traction, you're not optimizing the traction circle of your tires, so you have to antipate this and get on the gas pedal just before you actually need the power.

And re: Alter's question, a stock LGT motor puts out peak torque of 250lb-ft at 3600rpm. In my experience the "kick" you're referring to usually builds noticeably around 3,000rpm and carries on past the torque peak. It feels particularly violent at first because the torque ramps up so quickly when turbo starts building boost. Search for some dyno graphs for a stock LGT to see what I mean.

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Actually I'd call what Alter is describing being below the boost threshold. No matter how hard you hit the gas, there ain't no boost in the really low RPM range because there's not enough air moving through the motor fast enough. Turbo lag happens when you're spinning the motor fast enough to potentially build boost, but since the throttle opening is closed, you're not moving enough air to actually spin the turbine. If you hit the throttle at, say, 3500RPM after being off-throttle for a few seconds, and the turbo will take a few beats to spin up before it's building full boost. That's turbo lag. I tend to notice it most when getting back on the throttle mid-corner - if you wait to get on the gas until you know you already have traction, you're not optimizing the traction circle of your tires, so you have to antipate this and get on the gas pedal just before you actually need the power.

And re: Alter's question, a stock LGT motor puts out peak torque of 250lb-ft at 3600rpm. In my experience the "kick" you're referring to usually builds noticeably around 3,000rpm and carries on past the torque peak. It feels particularly violent at first because the torque ramps up so quickly when turbo starts building boost. Search for some dyno graphs for a stock LGT to see what I mean.

Exhaust gas spins the turbine, the compressor pumps the air

;)

Exhaust gas spins the turbine, the compressor pumps the air

;)

I'm pretty sure that I had that in mind...but it was 3:30 in the morning, and I had a bad case of

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

:lol::lol:

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Archived