LegacyGT.com

What about cars which fit this mold?

Couple of my friends are trying to help another friend decide what to replace his ailing '93 manual Lexus SC300.

He's a budget-minded guy, wants something sensible, with the following criteria:

- <$20K

- Preferably used or certified, to avoid the depreciation hit

- Worry-free as possible. He's loves the RWD characteristics of the SC300, is on the road a lot, but isn't mechanically-inclined.

- Above-average to excellent reliability-- perhaps similar (or lower :D) maintenance budget to BL/BP LGT but w/o possibility of leaving one stranded (I'd recommend the LGT but not after reading up re: pistons, blown turbos, injectors, etc.)

- Preferably stick but a DSG/SMG or manually controllable auto like the 5EAT would fit

- Gas mileage at least similar to BL/BP LGT

- Not wrong-wheel drive

- Not an SUV

- Mid-size vehicle; can seat at least 4 comfortably, and decent trunk space

- Good for long-term ownership

- Must fit tall people

Thoughts?

g35 6-speed, or G35x AWD automatic. (I believe it has the manual shift patterns...)

older Audis or BMWs might get expensive to maintain out of warranty.

Pontiac G8, maybe if you can find a deal, with them going off the market. Maybe a used Lexus GS series sedan, but again, might not be cheap to maintain.

Not a SUV and not FWD... plus sporty and a stick shift, and not bad looking... cuts the field way down. I know, I feel the same way about it.

So we're spot on re: the G35's, even the later 1st-gen ones. Used Lexus GS was also considered, but what makes them "not cheap" to maintain?

And maybe a base E46 has a shot to be in the running if he wants to go German. Not sure about any other BMW's frankly. Question is whether the 325i's maintenance / repair bill by comparable to Audi's, or somewhat lower.

Just recommend the LGT.

Remember that model specific forums basically make a car look worse than it is. No one posts, "hey my car has gone 72k and nothing has happened!"

(And it has, except a shopping cart hit it a few months ago).

Subaru is one of the most reliable marks and the LGT is still above average in the reliability dept.

G35 is a good choice as well.

Cadillac CTS?

I'd note that Legacy GT sedans do a very poor job of fitting tall people.

Just recommend the LGT.

Remember that model specific forums basically make a car look worse than it is. No one posts, "hey my car has gone 72k and nothing has happened!"

(And it has, except a shopping cart hit it a few months ago).

Subaru is one of the most reliable marks and the LGT is still above average in the reliability dept.

G35 is a good choice as well.

Cadillac CTS?

I'd note that Legacy GT sedans do a very poor job of fitting tall people.

I don't know much about the Cadillac CTS other than it's RWD, but does its reliability supersede the brand's stigma?

Tall people barely fit fine in non-limited LGT sedans or wagons, as my own experience proves. The power seats & moonroof are the main deterrents.

I don't know much about the Cadillac CTS other than it's RWD, but does its reliability supersede the brand's stigma?

Tall people barely fit fine in non-limited LGT sedans or wagons, as my own experience proves. The power seats & moonroof are the main deterrents.

True, which is why I own one, but there is no-non limited LGT after 2005.

As far as I can tell, yes, they're fairly reliable (2 friends with them). GM's stigma is worse than reality. They do have downsides (the interior isn't exactly what you'd expect)

Note that the CTS-V do have some issues, but we're not talking about those.

Archived