LegacyGT.com

1997 subaru legacy gt transmission

hey everyone, i have a 1997 lgt, when i bought the car, it wasnt in such a good condition, i had to change the engine and almost all the front end, the last guy kinda play with the car, didnt treat it well, so i decide to buy it, that the car needs a new and a better owner, well, now that im happy with the car, i just notice a weir sound on the transmission, when it goes from 1st to 2nd makes a sound and it feels like im hitting a sidewalk, i dont wanna stress out for that so i decide to change the transmission, it is an automatic, and i wanna make a swap with a 5 spd, i know that i have to change the diff. to, but do i have to change something else?, or theres a different size between the auto and a manual trnasm? i will thank your help,

this is my first car and i want to fix it by myself cause i wanna learn more thanks

The swap will be difficult, but not impossible.

The problem with the auto sounds like worn clutch packs and bands. Either that or the pump is bad, but you would have problems shifting from third to fourth or getting the car to go into reverse.

The rear differential is a different ratio than the automatic, meaning that if you swapped to a manual transmission with a rear diff from an auto, your rear wheels would be trying to spin at a different speed than the fronts. Other than that the transmission will bolt to the engine, you just need to replace the flex plate with a flywheel and get a clutch. You will need the manual transmission pedal assemblies, as well as the hydraulic lines and cylinders. You don't necessarily need the computer if you want to wire up the automatic computer to think it's in neutral all the time, but that would be the half assed way of doing the swap.

Archived