LegacyGT.com

rattling/clanking/tinny noise in reverse, etc

subyfiend

Well on with the next problem on the car. I have a rattling, tinny, clanking noise I hear as I am in reverse, as I turn the wheels to go forward its still heard. I have noticed on very high windy days I hear the same noise driving forward. I can hear it echoing off any cars driving next to me and to me it sounds like the noise is coming from the transmission area in the car. I have a 97 subaru legacy, automatic trans. Anyone know what this may be?? Thanx!!

(In all honesty it sounds like someone is driving down the rd with cans rattling behind them)

Does this only happen in reverse?

Does this problem happen when you turn or accelerate?

Does the problem happen all the time?

Does the frequency of the clanking increase and decrease with vehicle speed?

I'm thinking several things. It could be a CV shaft, but it would most likely happen when you turn or accelerate or both. A wheel bearing could cause a ticking sound. A loose part, maybe a rotor shield, could be vibrating and tapping against the rotor. Recently I started noticing a metal on metal clanking noise after some 35 MPH driving on an unpaved dirt/gravel road in my 92 Legacy, and it turned out to be coming from my front right fender that I replaced a while ago. Looks like I lost a bolt that I must not have tightened enough, and the fender started clanking around whenever I hit bumps. Strange noises can come from anywhere, especially from places you wouldn't expect.

I have heard heat shield from several people, where exactly is that/what am I looking for with that?

In reply to the first post:

I do hear it when I am driving as well, it seems to be louder on high wind days, I do notice it with acceleration/deceleration too. It sounds like its coming from the trans area. Def metal, clanking sounding. I haven't checked if speeds are a factor but thats cuz I turn my radio up so i can block out that sound lol. I hear the clicking noise when I turn the wheel to a hard right, but that I do know most likely has to do with a cv joint/axle.

The reason I thought trans was cuz of the other ongoing issues I have had with the vehicle so I assumed it just may have gotten worse--On immediate startup the AT oil temp light flashes about 15x then goes away, I was told it was the transfer case or a solenoid issue. The noise I use to hear once in awhile was a pinging noise in reverse (think wooo) I was told that was due to the trans issue not being repaired. I have no idea what that problem is but that lights been flashing since I have owned the vehicle, and most people didnt have any idea what it was caused from.

Thanx :)

Check the exhaust headers, they are wrapped in heat shields which are bolted together. Over the years the bolts rot off, and they end up just teetering on top of the exhaust parts making rattling noises.

One of mine fell off the other day, I was backing out of a space, and all of a sudden I hear a scraping, then the sound of sheet metal hitting pavement. I pull forward, look behind me and its a hunk of shield. :lol:

As far as the AT light blinking, it's probably the clutchpack/solenoid. On a previous legacy I owned, the car did that for 6 years with no issue.

I ripped every one of my heat shields off due to rattling.

There are 2 shields over each header like posted earlier, and a long one that is bolted to the chassis running right above the exhaust pipe down the center of the vehicle.

And the solenoid you're referring to sounds like the transfer duty solenoid.

+1

There is almost no reason to keep those heat shields. I know people can argue that it will keep the heat downward and keep the exhaust cooler, etc... etc... But, unless you are are severely working your exhaust (IE: Tracking/Racing) then they are of pretty much no use. Remove any/all shielding from your exhaust and see if that fixes the rattling issue while driving.

The clicking noise when you are turning right (especially if it is ONLY right) is almost certainly CV related. Very simple and cheap to replace if you do it yourself. Otherwise, find someone local on the forums that'll do it for you for cheap. It'll take an hour or so if you purchase the parts. Pay them with some beer, BBQ/grilling/and few bucks and you should be golden. :)

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Ok so a little mix up on my part. The actual sound I hear when reversing is a loud, squeaky, bouncy noise as I straighten out the tires to go fwd it continues with that noise then goes away. I have no idea what that can be, my brakes are in good condition. But to describe it more it sounds sorta bouncy & squeaks, you seriously can hear it thru a window inside while the car outside was reversing.

As for the noise when driving it only happens only in acceleration, as I take my foot off the gas the clanking, rattling noise goes away and returns upon acceleration. It sounds like its coming from the trans area. I had the heat shields looked at & reclamped/welded on, nothing it still makes that sound driving down the road.

Archived