LegacyGT.com

Subaru 250T - Engine Rev issue - need help

JoshNZ

Hey guys.

I have a 2001 250T Wagon which has been going great until last week when I noticed a problem with the engine.

From a standstill when I accelarate the car is very lethargic until it reaches the 2000 RPM mark at which point it surges off like it has a Turbo! When driving at low speed when I push the accelarator it just limps foward, it doesn't seem to be an issue on the highway...

I have taken to my mechanic this week and he has had the car for the past 2 days and so far it has cost me a grand and the issue is still there.

The mech has changed the plugs, serviced and tuned the car, today he replaced the coil (not cheap!!!) and still the problem exists. He has twice put the car on diagnostic gear and that has not shown a problem. He has tried the air flow meter and it's not that either. Tomorrow he is going to try and replace the Knock Sensor... it goes on and I am as little worried it will go on and on and on and just cost more...

The local Subaru dealership don't seem to know what the issue is either so any ideas or advice from anyone on here would be appreciated.

Thanks

It could be the head gaskets, but you would notice coolant in the oil, or oil in the coolant.

The mechanic is ripping you off bigtime. Plugs, wires, a "Tune Up", and a coil cost you a grand? Those things are less than $150 and under an hour of labor. Get your car outta there unless you want him to empty your bank account. The mechanic could know what's going on, but is still throwing parts at it to cost you more money. Ask him to show you the old parts he replaced, that way you'll know if he even replaced them.

The Subaru Stealership might be a bit more honest, but they would be way more expensive to buy parts from, and the labor would probably be $80/hr or greater.

Check the knock sensor, the wires leading to the knock sensor, as well as the crank/cam position sensors. The TPS and airflow sensors are as simple as unplugging them. If the engine runs exactly the same after these have been unplugged, you know they are causing the problem. A clogged cat could also be the issue. Check the O2 sensors while you're at it. Check the head gaskets last, as they are the most coslty and hardest to replace.

Good luck.

It could be the head gaskets, but you would notice coolant in the oil, or oil in the coolant.

The mechanic is ripping you off bigtime. Plugs, wires, a "Tune Up", and a coil cost you a grand? Those things are less than $150 and under an hour of labor. Get your car outta there unless you want him to empty your bank account. The mechanic could know what's going on, but is still throwing parts at it to cost you more money. Ask him to show you the old parts he replaced, that way you'll know if he even replaced them.

The Subaru Stealership might be a bit more honest, but they would be way more expensive to buy parts from, and the labor would probably be $80/hr or greater.

Check the knock sensor, the wires leading to the knock sensor, as well as the crank/cam position sensors. The TPS and airflow sensors are as simple as unplugging them. If the engine runs exactly the same after these have been unplugged, you know they are causing the problem. A clogged cat could also be the issue. Check the O2 sensors while you're at it. Check the head gaskets last, as they are the most coslty and hardest to replace.

Good luck.

Not to bad-mouth or argue, but there is not ALWAYS coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. Sometimes, those damned gaskets can be somewhat tricky to hunt down. Although, 90% of the time it should be considered fact. ;)

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Archived