LegacyGT.com

EJ22E - DOHC or SOHC, which is better?

I have an EJ22E in a 1997 Subaru Legacy L. Now I have been looking into the possibility into a DOHC conversion. I have heard that the SOHC doesn't flow as well as the DOHC but it has better low end response. However, I've heard that the DOHC has a smoother top-end/midrange response.

I'm not looking for +T (Turbo) or anything like that yet. I just want to know what the pros/cons are for converting a EJ22 into DOHC. I know they have a DOHC EJ22 in Japan but that's a completely different motor (closed deck block).

Is it okay if we shed some light on this motor? I feel that it is quite overlooked & needs to be touched upon.

SOHC = Lower rotating mass, yet higher reciprocating mass. Once you factor in the increased flow of the DOHC heads and valvetrain you will notice increased throttle response with increased engine acceleration, but slightly reduced engine deceleration.

Overall the DOHC setup is more efficient and smoother, but will move the power, torque, and response a little higher on the RPM band.

I too agree that this engine is underrated, and it definitely deserves more credit than it's given, especially with it's proven track record for low end torque, stellar throttle response, and almost unmatched durability (For Subaru vehicles anyway).

I would suggest http://www.sl-i.net and http://www.legacycentral.org for anyone interested in the older ej22's for a conversion or a "franekenmotor". Great conversation though.

I think a lot of people stick with the ej22 for sustainability and reliability. the ej25d for basic power upgrade along low-high ranges. its a great motor as long as you stick with the maintenance schedule. Mine blew after I did an oil change, gunk got into the cams and the intake drivers side seized for a split second, but the damage was done. Bent valves.

Now I know that some have used the Crank from the Phase 1 EJ25 in their EJ22t builds....

• 3 weeks later...

Archived