LegacyGT.com

'95 Legacy Car trouble

NT3500

Hey, everyone. I'm new and this is my first post. I was hoping you fellow Subaru owners could help me out. I own a (used) Subaru '95 Legacy and have been driving it for about a year.

Just recently as I was driving home in it, under the hood started blaring out large clouds of smoke, on top of that; my temperature has sky rocketed over normal. I don't know what the situation is, but I could really use some guidance to solve the problem. Please help!

What hose? Coolant hose?

I can only assume. The smoke was probably not smoke but evaporation. When the temp starts to sky rocket, you can generally bet it is radiator related... Although, if I'm wrong, I would love to know what else would be causing this type of issue.

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

UPDATE: Upon further research, it's the radiator hose (upper). Eekay you were right. It was evaporation. The coolant was leaking out of the hose and evaporating all over the engine, etc. under the hood. However I've changed the hose, but the problem persisted; The port that connects the radiator to the hose, is cracked. Is there any other route than simply changing the radiator to solve this problem?

Here's a picture that may help:

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq190/Railgun_Roundhouse/radiatorid.jpg

That's the port that's cracked.

replacing your radiator is it . . . i have used epoxy and JB Weld before in similar situations, but I wouldn't consider that fixed, more of a bandaid

+1

Radiators aren't too expensive or difficult to replace. I would highly recommend a replacement as a "bandaid" will only temporarily fix the issue. Who knows what else on/in the radiator is on the verge of cracking/splitting/blowing out.

If you can find a good one in a junk yard or used somewhere else, it shouldn't be any more than $60-$70 USD. However, you should be able to find them brand new for somewhere around $120-$130 USD.

..."Bandaids" are bad, because when they work, you may for get to actually "FIX" the proble,!LOL! - seriously, JB Weld is a last resort, if you are not able to get a radiator - if it cracks in one place, odds are, it will fail in another spot real soon!

What about the egg in the radiator trick. This really does work, for a little while anyway. :lol:

If you get a junkyard radiator, just make sure to mask off the tranny coolant hose barbs and flush out the radiator real good with a garden hose. Since the radiator is out of the car, it's the best and easiest time to get this done.

Archived