LegacyGT.com

Found a 95 Legacy, need some advice

neboo

So I found a 95 Legacy automatic with 126k on it for 2100 bucks. It is kinda far away so I called the guy and asked about it. I asked if there were any oil issues, because that is what worries me the most. He said that he found some oil on one of the valve covers but it wasnt bad, it wasnt dripping or anything and that he tightened up some things, etc. and the rest of the engine was great along with everything else mechanically. The outside of the car is in decent shape with some rust spots that were sanded or something and have been painted over, nothing major though. Only thing it needs is tires.

Is this a car I should consider, or is the oil a cause for concern. I cannot work on a car, because of my living situation, so any work would have to be done at a shop.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

The seepage from the valve covers is common. Not usually a major concern. They never tend to gush oil, just sometimes a slow leak, normally just make the underneath of the engine area a mess when mixed with road grime.

You really need to take a look for yourself, taking someone's word is never enough.

Remember, you are buying a 14 year old car, so buying a car of that age, and expecting to put nothing into it is like asking for a miracle.

Yeah I realize we will have to put some stuff into the car. But even if for instance worse case scenario it develops a bad oil leak, how much would that cost to fix? The guy is asking for a a price well under KBB value.

If it's the 2.5L engine check for antifreeze coolant in the oil, and check the radiator overflow for bubbles while the engine is running. The 2.5 engine has a tendancy to burn through head gaskets.

The 2.2L version has some minor oil leaks, and that's about all. I am lucky enough to have no oil leaks at all, not even the cam seals, oil pan gasket, or valve cover seals. Go figure! :)

Fixing any of the front seals is a very uncomplicated job. The rear seal is a little on the complicated side, but is not a necessary fix if it is just seeping.

Being a 95, I wouldn't worry TOO much about the engine, once it passes your visual exam.

I'd worry more about the suspension, brakes, wheel bearings and see if those have ever been replaced. Common wear items like that always nickel and dime you.

Archived