LegacyGT.com

Subaru WRX guy browsing GT's

Hello, my name is Brandon. I am a pretty active member at wrxtuners.com, I've familiarized myself fairly well with WRX's and STi's. My wife and I would like something a little bigger possibly, and with less problems, and less miles. So I've been looking at an STi, or GT legacy (05 to 08 for price reasons). I've done a hybrid build in my WRX with a great tune, putting down high 200's to low 300's I'd guess. I haven't had it dyno'd.

I felt another WRX would be very dissapointing after driving mine, because I'll not be putting this kind of money into another one. So I test drove an STi, and was very disapointed. It really didn't come close. I'm sure after a tune it would be another story, but that is my worry about a Legacy. I'd like to be able to do a EVO 3 big 16g eventually with a Legacy, along with supporting mods (up and down pipe, 750's, walbro, and APS or AVO IC.) First off would be an accessport, catback and Stage 2 for a while whough.

So, how compatable are STi and GT's? Can I use an STi aftermarket turbo? I know GT's use VF series turbo's as well. I also read they use the same headers and of course up pipes. Are all these parts completely compatable, or do they need some "convincing?" I guess I'm looking for a WRX or STi guy who's now a Leagacy GT guy to give me the run down. I saw Cobb's claims on stage 2 GT's running at around 305, and I'm sure a protune would net much more. But the Legacy is also 500 more pounds. So I'm also wondering how it handles comparatively.

Am I going to be disapointed after having a stage 3 WRX if I have a stage 2 GT? Eventually I would do a 16g (if compatable) but that's not realistic for a while. Give me your .02. THANKS!

I don't think the weight difference is that much. My car weighed an even 3400 on the scales with just under 1/4 tank of gas.

All turbo & exhaust parts bolt up, though I'd do a LGT-specific downpipe so you don't need an adapter. After installing my FP Green I don't think a 16g is enough turbo for the 2.5 liter; even a 20g is on the small side. The Legacy shares its turbo setup with the 09+ WRXs but anything fits if you go FMIC. The engine is identical to the STi, down to the part number for the short block.

Stage 2 is ok; you can get the power numbers you're looking for on the stock turbo. Of course it peters out on the top end. A guy who owned a stock STi was impressed with my car when it was at Stage 2.

I'd gladly trade the point-n-shoot operation of the stock turbo with the "neverending powerband" of my current setup any day. Overcoming lag is just a downshift away and drivability is not compromised at all. I'm still tuning but even just 14 psi crushes my Stage 2 performance :D

Thanks you so much, this is the kind of info I was looking for. So, to clarify, any aftermarket 09+ WRX aftermarket turbo will work but you need to run a Legacy specific front mount setup to use 02 -07 WRX/STi specific turbo's? Or did you order a FP green specific for a Legacy? And STi/ WRX TMIC's will not bolt up right?

Also, how does the tranny hold that kind of power? Manual and automatic? I never would have considered an auto, but I found an older woman-owned 50k mile auto for 13k.

You must be putting down high 300's. You guys probably know the WRX 5 speeds had glass gears. We have to start a 6 speed fund if we want to see 350+. And are you also running the same heads as an STi?

Hey Brandon, why are you guys looking for a bigger car?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

We're always driving people around, it get a little cramped in the back seat. My wife and I both have 4 doors at the moment, but as of tomorrow she'll have a 2001 corvette, hardly a passenger car. I figured if I have to get something a little more passenger friendly, then a Legacy GT is the only way I'll go. But I still might use the money from selling her neon and rebuild my WRX with a 16g, and just tell the passengers to deal with it :)

right on! just curious. I've always had the mod bug on my GT wagon but because I haul my kids around I've kept it to just a STS and some suspension mods.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Cool, I'll have to hop in a back seat when I check one out.

Also, how common are broken pistons? The STi's had poor mapping especially in 07, and poor fuel and oil routing to the #4 piston. I had an STi block go on me, and several people in the forums. How are Legacy's in this regard?

Also still curious about the turbo and transmission questions above ^. :) Thanks

not a lot of issues. the legacy 5speed is pretty stout. the clutch wont hold much power tho.

with a FMIC we can run Sti/wrx turbos. dunno anyone here running the evo3-16g or whatever it is. (never heard of it)

the 2.5L can handle a bigger turbo and so what's common around here are things around the size of the ATP 3071 or FP green, stuff of that nature. mid 300whp range.

handles okay...

car for sale. PM me!

You could switch to an aftermarket TMIC for an 09+ WRX (assuming they exist by now) -- the issue is the off-center throttle body on the plastic intake manifold. Some people have done an STi manifold swap too but that has its own set of install fun.

The auto will need a lot of work to hold over ~ 350whp reliably. A valve body is a given, and more needs to be done to really handle the power. You can spend as much on the tranny/converter as you do on the whole engine buildup. The manual just needs a WRX flywheel and a good clutch. People have broken parts but it's muuuccch more rare than the WRX's 5spd.

I bought the Legacy because it had the same power potential as an STi with a more forgiving demeanor. If I was in my 20s I'd get the STi in a heartbeat but I don't want to be punished for driving my car. I plan to do some suspension work but nothing crazy. I want a decent street car with blazing straight line performance.

Archived