LegacyGT.com

Do we unanimously agree...

...That these are the numbers to beat to make us happy and satisfied with our LGT's

Nominal output/rpm http://www.bmwusa.com/bmw2003/images/clear.gif333/7900 hphttp://www.bmwusa.com/bmw2003/images/clear.gifhttp://www.bmwusa.com/bmw2003/images/clear.gifMax. torque/rpm 262/4900 lb-fthttp://www.bmwusa.com/bmw2003/images/clear.gif

Acceleration 0-60 mph 3http://www.bmwusa.com/bmw2003/images/clear.gif4.8 sec

Most of us want to just have numbers good enough to take on the M3's (including the 5EAT owners).

Now that we have set a goal its time for problem solving

Stage 2 beats the torque numbers of factory spec M3. Does that mean the 0-60 times will also be better? What about 5EAT?

Now the floor is open....feel free to chime in and tell us all about how (cheapest and fastest) can we get to match/beat those numbers.

2005 BMW M3-Edmunds.com *****Six Speed

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/trans1x1.gifPerformance Acceleration (0-60 mph): 5 sec. Braking Distance (60-0 mph): 112 ft. Base Number of Cylinders: 6 Base Engine Size: 3.2 liters Base Engine Type: Inline 6 Horsepower: 333 hp Max Horsepower: 7900 rpm Torque: 262 ft-lbs. Max Torque: 4900 rpm Drive Type: RWD Turning Circle: 36.1 ft.

Legacy GT Ltd 5 Speed-Edmunds-

Performance Base Number of Cylinders: 4 Base Engine Size: 2.5 liters Base Engine Type: Horizontally Opposed Horsepower: 250 hp Max Horsepower: 6000 rpm Torque: 250 ft-lbs. Max Torque: 3600 rpm Maximum Towing Capacity: 2700 lbs. Drive Type: AWD Turning Circle: 35.4 ft.

This is not my beautiful car.

2005 BMW M3-Edmunds.com *****Six Speed

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/trans1x1.gifPerformance Acceleration (0-60 mph): 5 sec. Braking Distance (60-0 mph): 112 ft. Base Number of Cylinders: 6 Base Engine Size: 3.2 liters Base Engine Type: Inline 6 Horsepower: 333 hp Max Horsepower: 7900 rpm Torque: 262 ft-lbs. Max Torque: 4900 rpm Drive Type: RWD Turning Circle: 36.1 ft.

Legacy GT Ltd 5 Speed-Edmunds-

Performance Base Number of Cylinders: 4 Base Engine Size: 2.5 liters Base Engine Type: Horizontally Opposed Horsepower: 250 hp Max Horsepower: 6000 rpm Torque: 250 ft-lbs. Max Torque: 3600 rpm Maximum Towing Capacity: 2700 lbs. Drive Type: AWD Turning Circle: 35.4 ft.

Our Breaking distance isnt quite as good, but we can get there-Our 0-60- should definetly be doable when stage two cobb is available which will include an exhaust setup which will help the LGT be at 300 HP. 346 Torque

Assuming this kit will be around 1500-2000 bucks on top of the 27,000 (roughly) price tag we will have a vehicle with four doors(-some beemer folk wish they still had a four door version) or even a wagon that will keep up with that baby.

You will still be 16,000 dollars les than the M3 which you can take and buy the new BMW K1200 S Motorcycle and tow it behind your subie to Daytona with your wife and two and a half kids

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/k1200s/index.jsp

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/k1200s/gallery/im11.jpg

This is not my beautiful car.

Our torque is underrated from the factory and probably a tad more than 262 at the flywheel. 270?

As for acceleration numbers a turboback, reprogram should turn it into a drivers race but Im thinking a bigger turbo is needed to really get ahead.

On the other fronts though the M3 will walk away if the guy knows how to drive (which by the number of M3 owners around here, the good drivers come few and far between). M3's are designed to go fast around a track, not do triple duty as a snow mobile, people mover and go-go machine.

Sure we could get the acceleration after a few mods but the handling and braking of the M3 would be tough to ever truly duplicate. The car is quite amazing to drive and I think for those who haven't driven one before and talk about that would could equal it in such categories shoudl really go drive one first the whole feel of the car is something I doubt could ever be attained in the Legacy.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

I was very impressed when my friend showed me how good his stock E36 M3's braking system is!! You just cannot compare the USDM LGT's braking to the M3's. Would you compare a highly mod'ed Civic to a stock NSX? :)

This Space For Rent

HEhehe, I wish that you guys could drive an M3. If you think that merely have 333 HP and 262 lb.ft replicates the experience. Heck, I have seen turbo'd civics that were faster in a straight line, but...............................................

and here comes the big BUT

They don't match the M3 in cornering, braking, luxury etc. Neither will the LGT. They are just two different cars, designed for 2 different purposes.

2 days ago, I drove my M3 in anger, my 3m chipguard on the bumper got a big hole when a big rock hit my bumper. I was pissed, and really beat on the car, redlining every shift, braking hard and pushing the car through the corners. A wierd thing happened, it was as if the car smiled at me and said "Is that all you got"?

Its the exact opposite of a Honda (or Subaru). The more you beat on the car, the smoother the shifting was. The more the brakes and tires heated up, the harder they gripped. When I drove my old Integra in anger, the tranny was notchy shifting at redline. The legacy clutch stinks, and the brakes just seem weak. Now I am sure that you can fix all of those with aftermarket parts, but it'll still not match the M3.

Its a car that is just more than the sum of its parts.

My buddy has an '05 545i with sport pkg and 6sp (and a '99 540ia and '01 X5 4.4). It's not all that. I certainly would have felt dissappointed spending that kind of money. We traded cars for the day. He liked driving my car alot more than I liked driving his. I think that says something about how far Subaru has come with the LGT as far as performance and quality of the interior.

BMW's are nice of course, but the new round of cars are hugely expensive compared to the old generation ones (E60 and E46 vs E39 and E36). This isn't about being cheap, but rather the bang for the buck factor. The competition has gotten VERY close to BMW for a lot less money.

Just on a little not PGT, the 1986 325is retailed for 29k. The E46 325 is not too far off that price. If you ask me the cars are really not too overpriced for the car you get.

I am going on what my buddy who has three tells me. He was taken aback at the pricing of the E60 545. About a $15K hike in price for a similarly equipped car over the E39. So much so that instead of paying cash for BMW #3 like he did the first two, he did a 24 month lease as he was worried about resale value. He will buy out the lease at termination, depending on how the valuation comes out.

This isn't about being cheap, but rather the bang for the buck factor. The competition has gotten VERY close to BMW for a lot less money.
It's all about if you're willing to spend 90% more to get 10% more benefit. Personally I can't stand the feeling of being ripped off. Even when I think about the subaru and eating all that early depreciation. A few bucks and some tweaks it won't even be 10%.

I am going on what my buddy who has three tells me. He was taken aback at the pricing of the E60 545. About a $15K hike in price for a similarly equipped car over the E39. So much so that instead of paying cash for BMW #3 like he did the first two, he did a 24 month lease as he was worried about resale value. He will buy out the lease at termination, depending on how the valuation comes out.

Maybe he should reconsider buying anymore if he can't keep up with the price increases. And to say that the price increase is 15k for an equally equipped

E39 is ridiculous. The E60 545i starts at 55K the E39 540i started at 53 with the 6 spd starting at 54.

Actually, now that I think about it he was referring to E39 530 vs E60 530 regarding the price hike. He was going to buy a 530 but the price was so close to the 545 he went for it.

As for your comment, "Maybe he should reconsider buying anymore if he can't keep up with the price increases", he is an old school AOL'er.....the actual money isn't the problem but rather the perceived value. Besides.....aren't you a college student?? Do you pay for your LGT and BMW? ;)

Archived