LegacyGT.com

98 Legacy 2.5GT - Shake/Shudder

jrjay

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and was looking for some advice on an issue I have with my 1998 Legacy 2.5GT. The problem only occurs when accelerating from a stop. I feel a shake/shudder in my seat that lasts for less than a second. The shake also varies in strength, sometimes harsh, sometimes very little. The car has 150k miles.

I took it to the dealership to have it looked at and they said the transfer duty clutch is sticking and recommended replacing the transfer duty solenoid which will cost $865 for parts and labor. In the notes they gave me, it says they installed the FWD fuse, test drove the car, and no shaking can be felt.

$865 seems like a lot to fix the issue. Is this a reasonable price for a dealership? I don't have any experience with local shops in San Jose, CA. Also, is this an issue that will continue to get worse and needs to get repaired immediately or can I hold off on getting the repair done?

Thanks,

Jason

That is a lot for what you're having done, but it's not totally outrageous. They would need to drop the transmission out of the car, tear it apart, replace the solenoid, then reassemble the transmission. When to remove a transmission and take it apart there are some things that need to be replaced, as they cannot be reused. They would need to replace these parts as well. They would then reinstall the transmission and fill it with fluid. The problem is, they could try and jack up the price again once they remove the transmission by saying "Oh, you need a new this, or that seems to be worn out..." Things like CV shafts, transfer clutch plates, tranny coolant lines, or universal joints ect.

This estimate is still a bit over inflated. I'd suggest getting another opinion from someone other than a Subaru Stealership.

This is a different model car, but it's also a Subaru, and the procedure would be similar. This link is just to show you what would be involved in this job...

http://www.extreme-machines.nl/downloads/STi_Manual/04.%20TRANSMISSION/02.%20AUTOMATIC%20TRANSMISSION/18.%20Transfer%20Duty%20Solenoid%20and%20Valve%20Body.pdf

Good luck.

As long as it only happens briefly during acceleration you could go a little longer on it. As it is now, the only thing you're hurting is the transfer duty clutch. If you're going to replace it, this shouldn't be a problem. If not, you should consider getting this work done sooner rather than later. If the problem gets worse and starts happening more often I'd say get the work done right away.

Archived