LegacyGT.com

all these hids in the classifieds

KurtP

i dont have the exact HIDs but I have some cheap HISDs in both lows and fogs without any issues. lows have been in for about 2 yrs now, fogs only a few months.

if you arent doing a full retro then i would go with a cheap HID kit. some say the pricier kits make a difference but i dont think it would be enough of a difference to justify the add'l cost.

A lot of people do seem to have problems with them not always coming on, or one being out due to ballasts going bad and etc. I haven't gone for a set yet despite really wanting them due to all the issues. From what I've gathered though, make sure to get a kit with a battery harness, or add a battery harness to whatever kit you do get. They're getting cheap enough that it almost makes sense to order 2 kits and have 2 spare bulbs/ballasts. I think that is what I will end up doing.

A lot of people do seem to have problems with them not always coming on, or one being out due to ballasts going bad and etc. I haven't gone for a set yet despite really wanting them due to all the issues. From what I've gathered though, make sure to get a kit with a battery harness, or add a battery harness to whatever kit you do get. They're getting cheap enough that it almost makes sense to order 2 kits and have 2 spare bulbs/ballasts. I think that is what I will end up doing.

the problem people have with one of them not turning on is when yo leave your headlights on. for the life of me i cant understand why you would want to leave your headlights on? in past cars i've had the lights would stay on for 20 seocrds or so when you get out of the car which is nice when walking up a dark driveway, etc. The LGT doesnt do this anyway so why would you leave them on?

if youre going to spend $30-40 on bulbs i would just spend the $80 on HIDs. they're much brighter and will last longer. i upgarded my fogs from yellow bulbs to 3000k HIDs, i can actually tell when my fogs are on now.

i wouldnt be discouraged by the "horror" stories either, if that were the case my perrin TMIC and mid and y wouldn't come close to fitting ;)

i'm not saying that's what everybody has a problem with but from much of what i've read that's what a lot of people complain about. i'm sure like anything else there are some bad apples in the bunch and i've known plenty of people who bought cheap HID kits that are still going strong for 2+ years now myself included.

i believe in "you get what you pay for" but that doesn't necessarily apply to everything IMO.

you dont need HIDs in the highbeams since they take say aminute to reach full tempature so highbeams should be just standard bulbs, you can get blueish highbeams to match the HIDs inthe low beams if you want.

8k is going to be very blue and decrease visibility, most go with 4500-5k. i have 4300 or 4500k (cant recall) in my lows and they look pure white when looking at them but the light projected onthe ground looks white but similar to a regular halogen buld. 5000k would give you the blueish look and project pure white with a hint of blue on the ground.

just need to get the right sized kit for the lows and highs, not sure what the 09s have but there are bulb guides on the forums, just search "bulb size" and change the search option to "titles only".

couple of quick pics with an old point and shot. taking pictures of lights are tough.

1st is both lows and fogs 2nd is how they project on the ground. sorry i couldnt get a better projection shot, cars all the way up in the driveway.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/5364/lgthidlofog.th.jpg

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6979/img1168.th.jpg

I had a problem with my driver's side not always turning on. Turned out to be a bad ballast. I bought an ebay ballast and it's been working w/ no problems for a year now. Unfortunately, I got mine when the cost 200 maybe 3 years ago

i dont remember to be completely honest. i bought my fog from ddmtuning and as far as i know they are the cheapest (about $75 shipped for a 35w kit). the low beam kit is identical to the fogs.

i know the color temp is 4300 (ddm site shows 4500k).

i did mod (fill) the glare shields so the cutoff is sharper, theres a DIY on the forums if you do a search.

Im looking at these in 55w

http://www.xenonexpert.com/ddm_kit_sale.html

thoughts?

i think that may be the kit i have in my lows.

and you dont need to get bulbs rebased or use any adapters? buy the right size kit and it will fit in your headlight no problem. the only thing i had to do with mine was snip off one of the tabs so the return wire faced down.

heres the glare shield mod

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82756&highlight=glare+shield

heres an allignment DIY

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54740&highlight=glare+shield

i cant really comment on the 55w kit, i know some are using them without any problems but i'm not sure how much different the light output is. strock bulbs are 35w, if i recall correctly, so i just matched the hid kit based off of that.

Archived