LegacyGT.com

Good shop for clutch replacement

SneakyFast

Anybody know of a good shop in Santa Cruz or the South Bay to take my LGT for a clutch replacement. I called Subaru of Santa Cruz and they want $875 just for the labor.:mad:

I think I'm going to go with the ACT HD and OEM WRX flywheel combo. I was hoping to get a couple labor quotes (and maybe even the parts) from a reputable shop. Santa Cruz would be ideal but I work in the South Bay so that would work for me too.

I did mine at GST last week. I ordered the act and wrx flywheel from fredbens. GST installed it for me. Just a word of caution you will hear more noise from your stock setup and the pedal is significantly heavier. But i've already gotten used to it and am happier witht he setup.

Thanks guys. I might do Hayward... I have the parts on the way from fredbeans. I'm thinking about going to Clutch Works in Santa Clara. Apparently they are an ACT dealer so they specialize on what I ordered. They have pretty good reviews on yelp and they're pretty close to my work. Anybody have experience with them?

Can't say I can give Clutch Works a good recommendation. ACT Auto Repair is what they call their shop in Santa Clara and CW & Auto Repair is their shop in San Jose.

They botched the install and tried to tell me the parts I brought in weren't the right parts. They wanted to do me a "favor" and only charge me additional $300 (on top of what they charged me to **** up the first install) plus parts to put in a stock clutch. Needless to say I wasn't having it. After three 20 minute phone calls and listening to this lady tell me there's only one way to install a clutch 100 times they finally agreed to take it apart and look at it. I think it was because I threatened to tow my car out of there and contest the charge with my credit card company.

Three hours later they called back admitting it was their fault. They got it put in correctly and gave me $75 off the install so at least they made everything right in the end. Took two days to put a damn clutch in the car though... And far more stress and frustration than should be necessary.

On the flip side I would like to say that Jeremy from Fred Beans Parts was very helpful and courteous while helping me to get the whole thing figured out. Jeremy even exchanged PMs with me on his own time after business hours to help me out. There's a reason why I like to look for reputable dealers and service centers and this is it. A+ service.

Just curious...do you hear the additional noise? It's been about 700 miles, I still hear the noise. Sometimes it is a little frightening when crusing in 5th. Sounds like rocks in a blender. It drives perfect though, just the added noise is causing a little paranoia.

Archived