LegacyGT.com

97 gt idles rough&sluggish ??????help

GTleg4life

she idles like shit... sometimes not all the time?? used higher octane.. nothing. had bad knock sensor replaced it 3 days later went off again. so i replaced plugs and wires ran high octane and fuel additive and cleared code.. nothing but code did not come back. (AT) lunges when at a stop light and been sitting for a moment?? sluggish on acceleration and stumbles but quickly goes away??

guessing have vacuum as well as other problems, im baffled and dont want to start throwing money at a problem.

please give me some direction ... thank you!

If it went away when you replaced the knock sensor, try it again. Get one from a junkyard to see if that's the problem.

Other than that...

TPS

Idle air control solenoid

Clogged Cat

And last, but certainly not least, head gaskets. It's likely the head gaskets, but I'm big on checking all the little things before I go tearing into things.

oh my fears my fears, i dont wanna fuzzle with the headgasket. im praying its the idle air cause to me that makes the most sense, though i did not actually clear the code i just left the battery cables off for about 20 mins to let all the residual juice drain out of all those little resisters and shiza. also i know for a fact that the tranny fluid is a likkle low so im thinkin its idling rough(only does it at a stop) cause theres not enough fluid in the torque converter. though im ulmost positive its not the head cause it drives most excellent no matter what after 1500-2000 rpms, also im pretty sure its not getting full vacuum in certain hoses but not sure the effect??????

im gonna take your advice and check your listed sensors and guess on the cat cause i have no way of finding out physically without taking it off if its clogged.

thank you!!

The earler 2.5 engine had problems with head gaskets, but this is most likely not the case, since the problem happens more frequently with the AC on.

My EJ22 sometimes bounces at idle, but I've come to ignore it. Rough idling and inconsistent idling are two totally different things. Rough means it idles like poo.... With hesitation and misfires, while inconsistent means it will bounce around on the tachometer, generally between 700-1,100 RPM's. If it hesitates and misfires it's most likely plugs, wires, or gaskets. If it bounces around on the tach it's most likely a sensor issue, including the idle air control solenoid or vacuum lines.

Maybe its just the AC clutch doing its job. The AC clutch will engage or disengage whenever it detects low system pressure. The engine, however, will retain an idle that is sufficient to sustain AC pressure, regardless of whether the AC compressor is on or off. When the AC kicks on the idle should drop a couple hundred RPM's. You can open the hood and keep an eye on the clutch on the AC Compressor. If the engine drops in RPM's when the compressor clutch engages the compressor then this is totally normal. An AC Compressor takes a lot of power to run and it can affect the idle when it kicks on.

And if you suspect the cat, check the inlet and outlet temps on the cat itself. If the inlet temps are considerably higher than the outlet temps then the cat could be clogged. Although this would probably cause the engine to bog or hesitate all the time as opposes to whenever the AC is on, it's easy to investigate, thus making it easy to eliminate. This would also probably cause an exhaust leak before the cat, most likely at a gasket somewhere, but it's worth a shot.

Good luck! :)

ok well first thank you for so much great info im a noob to my soob but ive fallen in love with it so shes my new baby and well if shes my baby then i have to figure every little detail out bout this here car.

its not the cat. but now i notice it lunges at a stop without ac on. hesitates/dogs out from stop but does not misfire and is intermittent but usually on real hard accel from stop. it doesnt really bounce after its warm it does but its 100-200 rpm differences i figure nothing to worry about ( i have 150k on it) its bad when its cold it raises 400-800 rpms randomly so i warm it all the way b 4 driving. sometimes its doggish on hard acceleration but no hesitation misfire etc. it shifts hard and hard engeage so figure just low on AT fluid.

Archived