LegacyGT.com

Cusco 21mm rear bar - install problem?

yukonm

xenonK wrote this:

you just need to turn the swaybar up so that that the end link is facing towards the control arm, not away from it as you have shown.

Keefe

I'm sorry, but I didn't understand these directions. If anybody can clarify, that would be great.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/3228/corrected0ct.jpg

1) disconnect your endlinks on both ends

2) rotate the sway bar up as shown in "green"

3) connect your endlinks in the position you see in "red"

done.

Keefe

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wouldnt it just rotate forward again? hmm...ill give it a shot later today. i guess i should do this with the car on ramps so i can get an accurate idea of what the angle is? when we installed the bar the endlinks looked to be in the correct position/correct angle

wouldnt it just rotate forward again? hmm...ill give it a shot later today. i guess i should do this with the car on ramps so i can get an accurate idea of what the angle is? when we installed the bar the endlinks looked to be in the correct position/correct angle

my thoughts too. Mine is angled this way...unless the other direction is on the other side of the 'zenith' of the endlinks rotation from in that pic, it will move back to the most natural position.

all I am saying that it shouldnt be THAT close to the rubber boots.. check again to ensure that the bar isn't installed backwards (or flipped or something).. I have seen many things happen in the past that's like that.. see post #10 for the correct fitment, adjustable or NOT, it should be at least an 1" away from the rubber boot. And to make a clear point, I am STILL on the stock endlinks.. so upgraded endlinks are NOT needed for proper fitment.
Keefe

mine looks the same as in your pic. Once I get my car back, I'll try and flip the endlinks over....I remember fooling with it when I installed it, but they only seemed to line up one way (both wheels on the ground ;) )

my bar went in exactly the same way the other came out. we didnt remove the endlink entirely...just unbolted the top...so im sure they arent upside down.

i know the new bar is longer because we couldnt fit the air tool in to tighten but could with the stocker.

Okay .. when I took out my stock bar, and laid the V2 CUSCO rear sb on top, the matched .. in terms of the holes for they endlinks. Mine doesn't look like that either ... not at that angle and I am lowered and on stock endlinks. I can take pictures of my setup this week.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/3228/corrected0ct.jpg

1) disconnect your endlinks on both ends

2) rotate the sway bar up as shown in "green"

3) connect your endlinks in the position you see in "red"

done.

Xenonk, Thank you for the picture! Unfortunately, I don't think what you illustrate is is possible.

I agree that rotating the bar along the green line (about +20 deg. up) would make the endlink vertical. Note that rotating it downward to about -20 deg. would also make the link vertical.

However, to move the endlink lower mount point along the pink line, the suspension would have to be compressed beyond the stop for +20 deg. (I think -20 deg can almost be achieved by lifting the car on jack stands - no weight on the suspension).

The idea won't work because the lower mount-point of the endlink is set by the ride height.

Yukon

those are all fixed mounting points and distances. if you move the bar up and connect it with the suspension compressed, it will just go back to the same spot when its uncompressed. in order to change that position one of the pivot points needs to be moved, or different endlinks need to be used. i'll take a look at my bar tomorrow and see how close it is. but so far no problems. perhaps a bad batch of cusco bars was made??? or perhaps the bar bushing mounting point isn't the same on every legacy.

nathan

• 2 weeks later...

I installed my Cusco sways this morning, thanks to all the pointers you guys have given, they went in a treat.

I dropped the drivers side muffler to do the rear bar, the end links are almost vertical, maybe 10 degrees off with the car on the ground, everything fitted perfectly. The front brace came off easily to get the front bar on, again a perfect fit, and having the right size allen key was a bonus too.

Now to go out and drive :icon_bigg

i went back underneath the car today to take another try at correcting the endlinks...as it turns out...they are totally normal. it was just the angle i was looking at them. under load they are in the same position as stock. happy.

i am getting a bit of creaking from the bushing so i might re-lune if it doesnt go away.

hey littleblueGT.. how does the car feel ?

Not sure exactly what you are getting at.

I have the JDM spec-B Rev-A struts on ION springs w/ Whiteline RSB (for now). The car corners very flat, ride is still very reasonable. High speed driving is very predictable, suspension will not bottom out (unless you are just plain stupid).

I really like it. Only problem is the clearance issue with the RSB, sson to be gixed with a new RSB.

Archived