LegacyGT.com

Chipped paint on front bumpers anyone?

bikerboi911

Anyone having any stone chip issues on the front bumper??? I've had mine a week and have 200 miles on it (no Highway travel) and already have a few nice nicks out of the front bumper. Just getting a bit leary about what the future might hold for my poor car. Am I just paranoid............

I hate the fact that we are forced to pay another 500 bucks or more to prevent damage that shouldn't be occuring anyway. I didn't have a clear bra on any of my prior cars and they didn't have this problem with chipping. The paint on the Legacy is shit in my opinion. Orange peel, easily chipped, easily swirled... It is absolute crap and should be recalled, but probably won't.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I'm going to have to repaint, because I have sever stone damage on the leading edge of my hood (as in some metal is missing, not just paint). I will maybe post a pic if anyone cares to see. Does anyone have any pics of the clear bra on their car? I am curious if it is very noticable. Also, does it have a tendancy to yellow over time?

They aren't supposed to yellow. That is one of the selling factors. There are a couple of vendors on the site that sell clear bras. Do a search for 'rockblocker' or go to the vendor classifieds forum to learn more. They aren't visible in pictures, but they do show up when the car is dirty and you can see them if you look up close. Its not that big of a deal for most people. There will obviously be a line where you can tell its not there, but its not that noticiable. The chips I have on my hood are above where the clear bra would protect anyway. Getting it on the front bumper would probably be worth it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Thanks for the info. I will have a look. I have seen some Acuras with this on, and I didn't really like the look. I figure that you can't really protect the whole car anyway, so perhaps aside from the bumpers and leading edges that take a lot of abuse, it may not be worth it to me. At the rate I'm going with roads and stones around here, I'll need a windshield soon too.

In our gritty-ass desert, and grittier highways and roads; cracked winshields, stone chips, and opaque headlights are a fact of life! Road Blocker installed clear bra and head light protection before I started getting dinged! 6000 miles later and not a chip to be found. Crud you do see on the bumper is mega-bug hits at high speeds...:lol:http://earthcare.photosite.com/~photos/tn/315_1024.ts1111034655906.jpg

I've got some nicks on the side on the strip that runs horizontally across the doors :(

Probably door dings from other cars in parking lots. I would suggest that Subaru put rubber strips along the sides unless they start using "tougher" paint ...

ewwww.... I wouldn't have bought the car if those strips were black rubber. That is usually a sign of a lower trim level. Like for example, the 3 series BMWs have black trim but everything above that has body matched trim. Black would look tacky on every color other than black.

OCDETAILS BLOG

That's not true. I'm very happy with my Legacy. I'm not thrilled about the paint, but its not like I bitch nonstop about the car. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't want it. I did my research before buying this car unlike some people around here who are finding things out they would have known if they had asked more questions before they signed on the dotted line. The only thing they could recal that would make me happy is my side mirror. Everything else is as expected. I've been detailing professionally for nearly 10 years so I think I can handle soft paint.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Not just yes, but hell yes on the chips. My bumper and hood are getting repainted next month. I will put on the clear bra on both the bumper and the hood.

hey dawg,

did you convince your dealer to cover the paint job under warranty? or are u picking up the tab?

my car has about a dozen really "good" sized dings that have completely removed the paint coat down to the primer. While I do love my Leggie, I must admit that the quality and durability of Subaru OEM paint job leave much room for improvement.

ewwww.... I wouldn't have bought the car if those strips were black rubber. That is usually a sign of a lower trim level. Like for example, the 3 series BMWs have black trim but everything above that has body matched trim. Black would look tacky on every color other than black.

Black on black is OK with me! Seriously, though, I agree that body matched trim looks better. But I'd like to find a way to avoid the heartbreak of chipped paint on a new car. I'm happy I got my Legacy - I did some research too before buying. I just want it to be even better.

Archived