LegacyGT.com

96 Legacy 2.2L

I was trying to find some performance parts for my car nothing too fancy but maybe a cold air intake. I heard somewhere that I could find a impreza or an RS cold air intake but I dunno which would fit or maybe even can I build my own?

Any help would be great.

A click over to www.Boxer4Racing.com and your local AutoZone would do the trick for about $40-$50....

www.Boxer4Racing.com

www.AutoZone.com

Get the aluminum MAF adapter from Boxer4Racing and the filter from Autozone. You could get the plastic universal plastic MAF adapter from AutoZone but you would need to drill holes in it to make it fit. You should also get some 5/16" bolts and lockwashers if you want to go that route. Using the stock rubber O-ring wouldn't be a bad idea either.

If you want other 2.2L performance parts hit me up.....

Sure. It doesn't really matter if it's an LGT or not, that year used the same MAF, regardless of trim level.

Here's a step by step...

Step 1) Remove the stock intake box. It's 4 bolts, accessible after you remove the air filter from the intake box. The bolts are located under the air filter at the bottom of the plastic air box. 4 additional bolts hold the filter box onto the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF for short).

Step 2 [OPTIONAL]) Remove the stock resonator/intake tube, accesible from underneath the front right fender. You may need to remove the plastic engine cover.

Step 3) If you bought the aluminum MAF adapter from Boxer4Racing, bolt that onto the MAF sensor with 4 5/16" bolts and locknuts. If you're using the AutoZone universal plastic MAF adapter, use a Sharpie to mark the 4 holes from the MAF sensor onto the adapter and drill them out. Bolt the modified adapter onto the MAF sensor using 4X 5/16" bolts and locknuts. Remember to include the stock MAF sensor O-Ring.

Step 4) Use a hose clamp to secure the 3" cone air filter to the MAF adapter.

Voila! You're done.

And what kind of gains would I get from this mod alone?

And I would love to hear about any other small mods I can do to the car for some power gains.

And thanks for the instructions. Feed me more.

One more thing I am trying to find the adapter on autozone's site and can't seem to find it.

As far as performance mods...

MSD Ignition coil part numbe 8239 will work with the Legacy you just need to go to the junkyard and find an old Eagle Talon/Dodge Neon/Mitsubishi Eclipse and cut the input wires off the stock ignition coil. Wire them up exactly the same was as they were in the Talon/Neon/Eclipse and install the MSD coil (Flat terminals ONLY) and you're all set. If the car refuses to run swap the left and right coil input wires with one another and it should fire right up. You will need to male a custom mounting plate out of steel or aluminum from some hardware store to mount the ignition onto the Legacy.

Boxer4Racing also has some sweet bolt on lighweight crank pulley kits. If you want to take this one step farther they also have underpulley kits, which free up horsepower by allowing the engine to spin the alternator and power steering pump a tad slower.

Good spark plugs and wires will help with the MSD ignition coil as well.

I'd also say replacing the O2 sensors would be a good idea with this car. Sometimes replacing old parts can breath new life into an old engine.

A short-ram intake as described in my first post will free up little horsepower. Maybe 1 or 2, but at a higher RPM than the stock intake. It could potentially take away lower end torque, but I have yet to experience this with my EJ22 2.2L with an AutoZone short-ram. As far as AutoZone's webiste... It sucks. I couldn't find it either, but I bought mine there and I think it cost under $10. It's a greay piece of plastic that's square for the most part, with a 3" hole and flange for mounting aftermarket air filters.

The biggest improvement will be when you're getting on the highway, or giving the car a lot of throttle. You will be rewarded with a nice scream from under the hood that sounds nothing like the modern-day Honda ricers you see screaming around town. The car will sound and perform practically stock under normal driving conditions, but when you get on the skinny pedal the car will turn into something evil, producing a sound that screams "Get out of my $%^@#%^ way!"

Yea my friend put a K&N Cold Air Intake kit on his car and the accel was much better and it screamed really nicely added around 17HP on his car.

And about the adapter I found 2 one is for a "small ford" and one is for a "big ford" am I misunderstanding the ford part?

Yeah, the small ford is for the V6's and the 4 cylinders. It is aluminum, and has a port for an optional temperature sensor. The big ford has the same bolt pattern to my knowledge, but is made out of plastic and lacks the optional temperature sensor port. I installed one on a 97 Thunderbird and a 98 Contour, and to the best of my knowledge this is the only difference. For the 4.6L V8 Thunderbird I used the "Small Ford" adapter by accident, but secured the temp sensor to the filter with a zip tie with no impact on performance. The small Ford adapter is made for Ford engines under 4.9L (4.9L I6) and the big Ford is made for engines 4.9L and larger. You can drill holes in the big Ford adapter to fit almost any vehicle you wish. I bought the Large Ford adapter and have used the same one on at least 3 different vehicles, including a Nissan and Subaru...

17 horses is a stretch, even for a quality filter like K&N. If you think about it, 17 horses is a decent gain for a small block V8 crate engine after installing Edelbrock cylinder heads, you expect to get similar gains from a $50 K&N air filter? I don't think so. 5 at most with K&N. Your buddy was probably expecting the best case scenario as printed on the K&N air filter packaging, which is still a stretch and a half. I put a K&N filter in my girlfriends 2007 Toyota Corolla and removed the intake tube and noticed no difference except a somewhat annoying drone when you step on the gas. I honestly think your friend is over exaggerating. A simple 2 minute bolt on can be quite the placebo if you're expecting a world of a difference, but I assure you, if you added 17 horses to any vehicle, you'd know it...... I mean you'd get pushed into the seat harder and actually say.... "Wow, that's a big difference!" Rathe than, "That feels like it made a difference."

The best way to go would be to search www.Boxer4Racing.com and get the aluminum adapter, as it is a direct bolt on replacement for the stock airbox, and is of much higher quality than the made in China crap you can get at AutoZone, but yes... Get the grey colored plastic Big Ford adapter if you plan on drilling it out for the Legacy. The aluminum part from Boxer4Racing is only $20 before shipping, and would be an overall better investment, although I've never had a problem with my AutoZone adapter......

Archived