LegacyGT.com

Oil leak?

Ok, I had my first oil change about 2 weeks ago and had no problems until today when I went out to go to work and found a puddle of what I assume is oil under the front of the car.. So, I quickly check the oil level which reads normal and do a check under the car with my hand (no jack handy) and feel the drain plug which seems damp. So at this point I call an oil change joint and they ask me a few questions that I really cant answer. So I drive it up there and they tell me that when we get an oil change, they are supposed to put in a new ring on the drain plug, mine hadn't been changed and was breaking down causing the leak.. They drained my oil, swapped in a new ring and refilled my oil (free of charge) ..

I never heard of this ring swap though, anybody know more about this???

The nearest suby dealership to me is 45 minutes away which is not practical for me to just drop in when I have what may be no problem at all..

Ok, I had my first oil change about 2 weeks ago and had no problems until today when I went out to go to work and found a puddle of what I assume is oil under the front of the car.. So, I quickly check the oil level which reads normal and do a check under the car with my hand (no jack handy) and feel the drain plug which seems damp. So at this point I call an oil change joint and they ask me a few questions that I really cant answer. So I drive it up there and they tell me that when we get an oil change, they are supposed to put in a new ring on the drain plug, mine hadn't been changed and was breaking down causing the leak.. They drained my oil, swapped in a new ring and refilled my oil (free of charge) ..

The nearest suby dealership to me is 45 minutes away which is not practical for me to just drop in when I have what may be no problem at all..

Crush washer, it needs to be changed every time you change the oil. Hence the name, once it's on it's crushed, try and reuse it and you can run into your prob.

Just get a Fumoto valve and you'll never have to worry about them. http://www.fumotovalve.com/ Part # F105

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Call me paranoid but I'm going to keep checking under my car today, I just have a bad feeling about it.. Can anyone think of anything else it could be? Nothing else has been done to the car, only 3000 miles on it. I'm new to awd and turbo cars so I wont win car tech of the year or anything. Glad we have this forum to post Q&A's. Thanks.

Where did you have the oil change originally? Was it the dealer? I would avoid any quick-lube places. Lots of horror stories about overfilling, draining the wrong fluid and being overcharged.

Are you sure the puddle under your car was oil? Was it there before you parked?

One possibility is that when you had your oil changed, whomever was changing it spilled some oil onto the plastic shroud that covers the bottom of the engine. If you're not careful with the oil filter replacement, it's easy to spill onto the shroud. The leftover oil could have dripped down while you were parked.

Ken

This same exact thing happend to me when I got my 1000 mile oil change. The techs told me the same thing they told you.

I wouldn't be paranoid man... it was most likely leaking from the lack of a new crush washer... buy a case of filters and washers from the dealer and you will not have to worry about the 45 min drive.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Slightly OT but on the fumoto valve, did they fix the previous issue where the threading protruded to far into the pan, causing an incomplete drain?

+1

yup.. its gotta be the crush washer. I am a service advisor at a subaru dealership and we see this all the time. Customers go to quick lube places thinking they are getting a better deal (our oil changes cost $21.99) and what they end up doing is buying two oil changes because they think they have an oil leak. The crush gaskets are needed and can not be reused. I have also seen in some cases where oil change places take off the transmission filter and realize they messed up and try to get it back on real fast. They end up crushing it and doing some real damage if the car is driven. Overall I would recommend doing it yourself or going to a dealer that knows what they are doing.

Archived