LegacyGT.com

08 5EAT Clunky, hanging in gear

Epperson

My '08 Legacy GT with 5EAT has always seemed a bit clunky when stepping out of a hard throttle, and sometimes holds a lower gear and higher revs for a bit longer than it seems it should. Today, though, I came off a 270 degree off ramp (I95N to 54W in Ashland, VA), accelerated hard at end of ramp to pop out to the left lane before the speed limit drops to 35, then backed off to coast to the light which was going red. It held lower gear and high revs all the way to a couple of mph, then clunked. Am I about to have big problems? I lost the AT in my '02 H6 3.0 on that same ramp, completely disintegrated inside under throttle, and it had never clunked once. Subaru replaced it under warranty, didn't bother to crack it open.

I miss my '05 GT, BTW. Faster, and the trans was always butter smooth.

Yes, I was in S#. I know it will hold revs up and gear down for a bit, expecting you to get back on the throttle, but had never seen it hold that long, or clunk down as I stopped. I drive that exit agressively a lot, so I'm familiar with how it's behaved there for 17K miles. I'm not discounting your answer, just explaining why I thought something may be going wrong.

The thing may be confused by driving habits. I try to drive like a mensch in traffic, don't push limits except in situations where I'm pretty sure I won't endanger others. Spent a lot of years driving Z-cars and three generations of RX7s, often more agressively than was prudent. The Legacys have been my "old man fun cars". My legs won't stand up to a MT in rush hour traffic any more, so this may be my last Legacy--no AT in the new GTs.

Yeah, it's normal. There is a stretch of mountain road that I frequently travel and will need to pass others as it's uphill. I'm always in S# for that particular stretch and the lower gears will hold for quite some time, allowing me to keep in the powerband until I start to slow down for the next turn.

Archived