LegacyGT.com

Gas Mileage for a NA 2.5 Engine

My daily commute is about 60 miles each way - all highway, very little traffic. If I'm very conservative - and keep it around 70 mph, my little trip computer says I get 32-33 on average, sometimes a bit higher. I've noticed that around 60-65 mph the mileage goes up to mid 30's over a long stretch.

Not sure what my city mileage is.

I can also get from Buffalo, NY to South Bend, IN - about 430ish miles on one tank. Much better than my old ford explorer - it was lucky to make it on two tanks.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

let's see. going at 100 - 120 km/h 62.5-75mph i get around 6 - 7 % . that is 39 - 33.6 mpg.

here are some vids :D on cruise control at 100 and 120.

http://rapidshare.de/files/6685367/legacy_consum_film.rar.html

the files are mp4, wich can be viewed with quick time or windows media player :)

in the city i get : 12 - 13% , that is 19 - 18 mpg. the city is quite crouwded. really crowded .

Just wondering what kind of gas mileage the NA 2.5i folks are getting. Please include type of transmission. Thanks.

i bought an 05 2.5i ltd auto in december. during the break-in period i kept it in SPORT mode(not sport shift), and drove nice the first 1000 miles, and then normal(what i call 'suburban aggressive') after that. once i reached almost 3000 miles, here's the results i get in SPORT mode

city driving normal-20-22

city driving easy- 24-26

hwy(this is amazing)- 70-72mph=28-30mpg

78-80mph=32-35mpg

90mph=30-31mpg

100mph=25-27

i've gotten as much as 460 total miles on a tank on cruise around 78-80, and as much as a tick under 390 pure city driving...

outback mileage is slightly less(figure 1-3mpg overall)

Just got a used 98 outback, na 2.5, auto, 126k miles. This mileage is in the toilet, comparedto expectations. Averaging 18, mostly around the city, no rush hour stop and go.

Did a total tune up, plugs, wires, o2 sensors, full (and I mean FULL) change of all fluids and filters. I recently overrode the AWD system. see if that makes a diff. Has anyone done this, and will it wreck anything long term? I really only need the AWD in the snowy Minnesota winters (like October to April LOL)

i've heard on the WRX forums that disabling the AWD system for long periods of time can have adverse effects on the AWD in the long run. Might want to do a check on that to be safe :)

---

2.5i 4eat

home->school, school->home, etc..about a 3.7 mile commute each way

about 10 stop and go's;

averaging 19 mpg sadly

wish it could be better

• 2 weeks later...
Just got back from a nice 160 mile one way trip on mostly highway (10% had stop lights). Averaged 33.2 mpg and get about 27 or 28mpg when I drive downtown to work. I have the 4 speed auto too. Just think if we had the 5 speed auto our gas mileage would be mid-upper 30's possibly on the highway.

the Trip Computer goes to --- before u come to a complete stop, does it really mean u r not using any gasoline?

No, I think it means the computer can not calculate gas mileage when it has no input of miles. Actually i suspect it is telling you you are getting 0 MPG. I believe you'll notice when you first start the car it does not calculate mileage for the first mile.

True and kinda true

When you switch to the cumulative mileage, not the real time milage, it still calcuates the milage even when you're just idling, the number would keep on going up and up, i've tried this when you reset the trip cumulative milage and drove it out the gas station to a red light, the number kept going up while i idle

Its just how car works, when you slow down or cruise wihtout ur foot on the accelerator, your engine computer does inject any gas into the engine, hence it is not using any gasoline, your wheels spinning keep your pistons moving. However, when you come to a stop, it burns gas to keep idle

Archived