LegacyGT.com

Gas Mileage for a NA 2.5 Engine

An update. After arriving at work today, the car was at 385 miles and the needle was at half of the first mark with the trip computer reading 90 miles til empty. That's a first! Usually at this point, I am at 335 or so and the light comes on at 370 -385. I am going to try and drive that sucker home to see how much over 400 I can get before I have to fill up. I have a 50 mile trek home so I will update later. The car is approaching 10K and I had mentioned in one of these fuel economy post that in my past cars, the economy went up at 5K and 10K. This seems to be happening with this car as well.

Wow, almost 10K and I have only had this car since November. Some times, I wished I had gotten the GT but with the price of gas and my commute, I don't regret it one bit.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the update as promised. I got the car to 431.7 miles at fill up time, it took 15.4 gallons to fill up with the trip computer reading 50 miles till empty. Since I was close to home, I just decided to get gas rather than try to go any further. That comes out to 28mpg for this tank, while still doing my normal commute which is travelling an average of 75mph (the typical 65 - 100mph runs on our highways). I hope it stays at this level or get even better as time goes on. On most days the commute is a steady 80-90mph and with that kind of economy at that speed, that is a good thing.

I am sure once I get some better, stickier tires it will probably drop a little. I know a lot of folks hate the stock tires, well at least they have decent performance in them and good economy. I am going to change them but not until I wear them out. Why waste money I say.

Well, with fully inflated tires and new oil I finally hit my first 400mi+ tank of gas. It was about 280 highway miles from a drive home for Easter and the usual commuting (40-50 mph, very light traffic). Made it to 410 miles or so before I refilled. I'm at 18k on the odo.

• 2 months later...
With alsmost 11,000 km, I am averaging just a bit more than 10 L/100km, or 28 mpg in mixed around town driving, with my 5-speed manual. This is the true computed mileage, as the onboard computer is optimistic by a factor of 7.5%. Mileage is about 10 % worse in the heart of our glacial Canadian winter.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a 2.5i sedan auto. I drove 1,445 miles from Texas to California at 70 MPH (seriously) and according to the trip computer averaged 33.3 MPG for the entire trip. My best tank was 35.4 MPG and my worst was 32.1 MPG.

I manually calculated my MPG and came up with 31.7 MPG for the whole trip (1445 miles/45.5 gal=31.7 MPG).

Matt

2.5mt im averaging about 24.5, I do both city and highway driving...I hate city traffic jams!....go...stop...go...stop...sit and wait...get cut off...go...stop... -SiGh-

amazingly my highway is pretty high up near 29.2 ... hoor-ay for decent milleage!!...

stupid traffic lights...

Hey how much is gas around you guys??? my lowest here... is 2.19 Mobile ...thats like lowest... average is 2.32 Mobile (I like Mobile)

omg I saw a pic of gas...old pic... .99 ...wish those days were still around -_-

Well, to put gas prices into perspective, in the olden days when gas was "really cheap" after you figure inflation it was more like 3 dollars a gallon, in actuallity, prices aren't as bad as they seem. It's been much, much worse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have 23K miles on mine and get 27-32mpg mixed, 50% hwy/30% rural/20% city, 87RON.

I do have a K&N air filter which gave me another 2 to 3 mpg.

P.

okay you got me baffled. i can only pull 24 mixed hwy and city ( 40% hwy and 60% city.) but when i drove down to san diego i was driving on I-5 for 300 miles and my trip computer registered 28.4mpg @ best and this was considering 70mph throughout the duration of the trip w/o cruisecontrol.... you gotta tell me your secrets! did the KN filter make that much of a difference??? any other mods you may have?

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

On a recent freeway trip of ~20miles each way, I filled up immediately before, did the run with minimal traffic, cruising at ~65-70mph, gauge showed around 7.8l/100k or 29mpg(us).

Be wary of K&N on hotwire AFM/MAF, over oiling stuffs the sensor. Dont know about surface film MAFs. To me if a filter is less restrictive, its doing less filtering, there isnt any other option. The only real way to make a filter last longer is to make it bigger. If there are wire screens in there, they could come out without harm IMHO.

jp

while my 2.5GT is in the shop i'm using my 2.5i loaner car to do some mileage comparisons..

for example, my commute everyday, rougly 8 miles, split highway (70mph) and city/suburb (25 - 45mph with stoplights)

My best mileage in the GT so far has been 24.3mpg on this trek - but normally it's more in the range of 22-23mpg. (fairly relaxed driving except when merging onto the highway)

I just tested that same commute on the 2.5i and got 28.8mpg in one direction and 25mpg in the other with pretty normal driving.

note, these are only as accurate as the trip computer in the dashboard, so take them with a grain of salt. - But it looks like the 2.5i model is good of at least 2-3mpg over the GT model pretty consistantly.

No other mods, but the K&N bumped me from 27 on the trip computer (25+ real) to 30+ on the trip computer (about 28 real).

I do have a 5MT, and drive pretty gently on my daily 75 mile commute. Weekends, I may have a little fun, and mileage definitely suffers.

P.

2.5, 5MT. Getting 395-405miles per tank(23.5MPG) mixed driving, 500(29MPG) on the HWY.

Ram Pod air filter and extractor/Hi-flow exhaust made a differance, then again, using them also would have used more fuel...

I had a 2005 2.5 NA engine with manual transmission legacy wagon

I had mix driving in Houston ----average 25

Driving highway from Utah to Texas-----best milage is 30

I found that the driving habits do affect the oil consumption a lot.

I looked at my oil consumption meter a lot while driving:p

Panson

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondering what kind of gas mileage the NA 2.5i folks are getting. Please include type of transmission. Thanks.

I let trip meter B run since day one, over 4K miles. 26.7 mpg average mixed driving with larger percentage city driving. 2.5i automatic. On longer highway trips I can expect 30. I've seen highs around 35 and lows around 17 on shorter intervals tracked on meter A.

• 1 month later...
I now have almost 3000 miles on my 06 i Ltd 4EAT, I usually get 30mpg mostly highway, got 28.2 my last tank because I did more city than normal. I get about 400 miles to a tank. I traded in a 2.5RS, I always seemed to get 28mpg, and that was with a manual transmission.

Archived