LegacyGT.com

Comparing an '04 STi to '05 GT

Now I haven't driven an '05 GT yet, but based on an FXT my presumtions are pretty good on power delivery. But I finally got to drive a fully broken-in STi today (had to pick my friend's STi up from some service work before they closed) and I was babying it, and all I have to say is holy friggin crap! That thing flies and you don't even have to try! I really had to baby it to keep it to the speed limit +5 to 7 over as I really didn't want a ticket in my friend's car. Most of you won't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually glad we're only getting 250/250 as a base. I know, jawdrop, but that's my impression. Sounds odd, but going from driving GC's and my BD GT both with 165/165 roughly, the bump to 250/250 will be enormous and I wasn't thinking it will be as significant as it really will be. WOW! And anyone complaining about lag, I had to fight to not get into boost with the STi which probably has a slightly larger turbo. Anyone whining about turbo lag on any 2.5 engine better get a friggin life! That's just on the power side of things. I think in terms of handling ability, the GT will be similar in many ways to the '04 STi but actually better, now he has STi springs, an upgraded sway bar, and other things coming to make the handling more compliant and versatile, but not compromising too much. I think the GT will be better in comfort with much of the same ability. I wasn't too unpleased with the STi ride (once again, I've put probably at least 750 or so miles on in STi's), something I could live with without a problem. I'm sure some people will call me crazy for thinking 250/250 is plenty, but once you get the car broken in, it will be whicked fast off the get-go, especially if you're making a somewhat significant bump from a sub-200hp (and torque) 3000+lb car (even a GC RS) to the new model. If power delivery is close to the STi, it will blow me away! Way more power than I'd ever need on the street, that's for sure. Once I get used to it, it might wear off a little bit, but it may take a bit of adjustment.

I will probably jump for a little exhaust work and an ECU reflash, which would allow me to sink into the high 12's in the quarter as a personal accomplishment (I'll make sure I'm actually launching right though first before I look at anything), and match it with an AutoX class (probably STX if it will run in that.) I'm not a big strip fan, but sometimes it's fun to work against the clock, just like I do in AutoX. Sometimes you just can't see how fast something is until you get in the drivers seat. I know being in the passenger seat of Dave driving wasn't nearly as fast as when I was in the drivers seat and not even using as much throttle as he was. The perception definitely changes easily.

I recently had my first experience in an STi as well. Wow. It was so much faster then my FXT (granted, its an auto), I was starting to think that Legacy wouldn't be enough. Hopefully the memory will have faded by the time I get to testing the legacy, that I won't be spoiled. Speaking of AutoX...any idea what class the GT will be in? What if you were to switch to 18"s?

Well I was getting on 41 to go around and meet up with Dave to get his car back to him (he rode into Appleton with Tom who was in a hurry to start running at WIR), and when I got on, everyone must have been doing about 75, it was one of those round-about entrance ramps, and I floored it at 60, before I knew it I was at 90 (yes Dave knows this), but I was shocked as it felt it was only doing 60, that's how well composed it is. Needless to say the Brembos were applied soon after, didn't want the po-po to get me, but it's that suprising. Just crazy! Try that in some POS and 60 feels like 90. Even some of the other newer cars don't feel like that. Subaru is just doing awesome at making well composed cars that are deceptively fast. I can gauge an RS or NA model, but the turbo models are so deceptive.

[quote name='SUBE555']Well I was getting on 41 to go around and meet up with Dave to get his car back to him (he rode into Appleton with Tom who was in a hurry to start running at WIR), and when I got on, everyone must have been doing about 75, it was one of those round-about entrance ramps, and I floored it at 60, before I knew it I was at 90 (yes Dave knows this), but I was shocked as it felt it was only doing 60, that's how well composed it is. Needless to say the Brembos were applied soon after, didn't want the po-po to get me, but it's that suprising. Just crazy! Try that in some POS and 60 feels like 90. Even some of the other newer cars don't feel like that. Subaru is just doing awesome at making well composed cars that are deceptively fast. I can gauge an RS or NA model, but the turbo models are so deceptive.[/quote] Dang I'll really have to watch out, but I kind of knew that already. :o

[quote name='Drift Monkey']If you think the STi was deceptively fast than the new Legacy should be even more deceptively fast![/quote] And it is, I was totally surprised and impressed with the way Subaru has managed to hide scary power in such simple looking cars. I was impressed with the WRX and it's ability to pick up and go after 2500 rpm. The Forester XT was another eye-opening experience, that little box launches and goes like a bat out of hell compared to the WRX. Then the STi came along and it scared the hell out of me the first couple of drives. Now with the Legacy, it's impressive in a different way. It looks subtle and classy but it does move, like you wouldn't expect. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the STi Legacy, rumor has it we'll see it next Spring/Summer.

Now I know I'm a manual driver so my take on the autos might be a little off, but I don't think the auto is slow at all. The reason I think a lot of auto drivers think it's a pooch is that to get the turbo to actually spool well and grab, you have to put your foot down a little farther and make it take you. In essence, Subaru turbo engines under a decent load work, if you lay with it lightly and like cruising situations under relatively low load, the engine works like an N/A engine, thus you don't get the turbo feel all the time. If you have a boost gauge and watch it (like I could in the STi I drove, BTW, those are some nice gauges Troy! ;)) you will see vaccum pressure all the time unless you are pressing it on under load and getting into it, then you will go into boost. That is the way Subaru helps get decent mileage. People just shouldn't be afraid to put their foot down a little if they're looking for that extra bit of rubber-band action. :)

[quote name='SUBE555']Now I know I'm a manual driver so my take on the autos might be a little off, but I don't think the auto is slow at all. The reason I think a lot of auto drivers think it's a pooch is that to get the turbo to actually spool well and grab, you have to put your foot down a little farther and make it take you. In essence, Subaru turbo engines under a decent load work, if you lay with it lightly and like cruising situations under relatively low load, the engine works like an N/A engine, thus you don't get the turbo feel all the time. If you have a boost gauge and watch it (like I could in the STi I drove, BTW, those are some nice gauges Troy! ;)) you will see vaccum pressure all the time unless you are pressing it on under load and getting into it, then you will go into boost. That is the way Subaru helps get decent mileage. People just shouldn't be afraid to put their foot down a little if they're looking for that extra bit of rubber-band action. :)[/quote] All the more reason to get a boost gauge! But then again, some will argue that you can "feel" when you're out of boost, so meh.

Archived