LegacyGT.com

Problems with my rear shocks/struts appreciate some help

tedsan126

The shock may seem fine, but it may be blown. Have you taken it out and inspected it?

Chances are, once you get it off, you will find that it won't rebound. That is your problem, and the reason why you are bottoming out.

How about you tell us the year of the car.

I love it when we get asked generic questions without any follow up info.

For future reference, please include year, make (Subaru obviously), and model (More precisely trim level... IE: 2.5i, L, GT, Limited, ect...).

Try bouncing the car up and down using the rear bumper. If it bounces more than once, your shocks are bad. Shocks go all the time... I mean, all the time. Expect to pay $75 for each shock if you're doing it yourself.

Could also be sagging springs. If it is, replace the shocks anyway while you're in there.

Could also be that the rubber bump stops located on the shaft of the strut have rotted and fallen apart, which means if the shocks weren't destroyed to begin with they most certainly are now. These can be a little hard to come by, I'd suggest getting some generic/universal ones, or even ones from a different make/model car, then just drilling out the center hole as needed to fit the new shock. All they do is prevent the strut piston from contacting the cylinder. Mine were bad, luckily I have contacts who are mechanics. When I did mine I brought it to his shop and borrowed his spring compressor. Once we got the boot off we noticed that the bump stops were ruined. He had some laying around that we drilled out to fit, now she's good as new.

Archived