LegacyGT.com

Perrin Short ram intake + exhaust mods question

Gambler

I live in australia, and am interested in getting the Perrin short ram air intake for my 2.0L GT. If i fit this would i have idle problems or running lean ? Do i need to get my ecu re-tuned?

On the perrin website it recommends it with some BIG MAF sensor replacement, but doesnt mention it on the short ram intake.

also i have dual cannon mufflers fitted, rest of exhaust system is stock. what would ppl recommend i also change to the exhaust to get the boxer burble and not the avo hollow sound exhaust.

i was thinking changing to catless down pipe and single 3" straight through catback to Y piece with no center resonator, then to twin 2.5" to my cannon muffers. leaving stock up-pipe and cat.

I live in australia, and am interested in getting the Perrin short ram air intake for my 2.0L GT. If i fit this would i have idle problems or running lean ? Do i need to get my ecu re-tuned?

On the perrin website it recommends it with some BIG MAF sensor replacement, but doesnt mention it on the short ram intake.

also i have dual cannon mufflers fitted, rest of exhaust system is stock. what would ppl recommend i also change to the exhaust to get the boxer burble and not the avo hollow sound exhaust.

i was thinking changing to catless down pipe and single 3" straight through catback to Y piece with no center resonator, then to twin 2.5" to my cannon muffers. leaving stock up-pipe and cat.

Honestly, don't bother with the intake. Really....the stock box is very good, I would recommend a panel filter more than anything.

As far as the exhaust you would be fine doing what you suggested to get the boxer burble more audible. I don't know the laws in Oz in reference to emissions or cats. But if your going for simply sound then do everything behind the turbo. The uppipe will not alter the sound all much so if you wanted to decrease lag than replace that as well. 3 inch to 2.5 inch will give you a nice deep rumble, depending upon the structure of the cans.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

the cans are high grade stainless..

emission laws are tuff but not often checked in aus... i think id like to keep the up-pipe and the cat standard for some emission filtering.

are the standard headers tuned length ? is that why it sounds like a honda ricer ?

if so im ditching the headers and getting something else. my car atm doesnt sound like a boxer should. its kinda got a hollow sound, similar to the avo. but yeh i only have the mufflers changed atm.

the cans are high grade stainless..

emission laws are tuff but not often checked in aus... i think id like to keep the up-pipe and the cat standard for some emission filtering.

are the standard headers tuned length ? is that why it sounds like a honda ricer ?

if so im ditching the headers and getting something else. my car atm doesnt sound like a boxer should. its kinda got a hollow sound, similar to the avo. but yeh i only have the mufflers changed atm.

You guys in Oz don't get the twin scroll do you???? No clue never looked into it. :lol:

If the set up is the same as USDM then the headers are unequal length. Equal length headers (ala...twin scroll) will kill the boxer burble. Are your mufflers a straight thru design or baffled? As far as emissions......if you are gonna fail it will be due to whats after the turbo...not before. The UP is only there for cold start emission, you will not fail emissions by going to a catless UP.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

yeh we do get the twin scroll turbo..

my 2.0L GT then prob wont see the boxer burble then, coz of me equal length headers. maybe i can source a new set of headers out.

my mufflers are straight thru 4"

hmm might aswell change the up-pipe, only reason i didnt want to before was coz of the egt sensor.

Archived