LegacyGT.com

97' Legacy L 2.2L Timing Belt, Water Pump, Cam Seals

SubieWagon

So I hit 225k miles in my 97 wagon, and recently started having over heating issues. Fluid leaking from under left timing belt cover (driver side). Pretty sure its the water pump. So I got the radiator out, front timing belt covers off and the timing belt was in bad shape... looks like a chipmunk was snacking on it lol. Noticed slight oil stains from the cam seals so replacing them while I have everything off, and probably should change them anyways with 225,000 miles right? =) don't have any vehicle maintenance history.

The inside of the timing belt covers are filthy, parts of the belt or who knows what all over. Is there any advise to what products to use to clean up the front of the engine before throwing on a new water pump, timing belt, cam seals?

I hit it with the air compressor but might have to go at it with an old toothbrush, don't want to screw something else up by using wrong all purpose cleaner.

Scotch-Brite will work too.

The timing belt should be replaced in the event that it has to be removed anyway, as it will stretch over time. Timing belts are also notorious for not going back on the same way they came off. Might as well do the cam seals while you're in there.

If you're going to drain the coolant, might as well do a thermostat and gasket while it's all drained. For $10-15 and two easily accesible bolts you can't go wrong. It'll save you time and money as opposed to doing it later and having to drain and refill, and burp the coolant again.

While you have the radiator out, could you also take a quick picture, or describe what color wires feed into the plug on the right cooling fan? I had to unplug mine in the winter when they were on constantly for no reason, but now that I have that all straightened out I want to plug the right cooling fan back in, but the wires got pulled out of the plug. I can hardwire them, but I want to know which colors go where. I could try trial and error, but it's cumbersome to get to with the vehicle in one piece. Thanks! :)

Timing belt with outer covers off

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/aaalohajd/SubieWagonaug09039.jpg

Timing Belt

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/aaalohajd/SubieWagonaug09053.jpg

inside the outer timing belt cover

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/aaalohajd/SubieWagonaug09042.jpg

Wow, your timing belt didn't look so hot! Good to see you got it changed. Change everything under there while it's off so you have to do it once, otherwise you'll have to do this all over again!

Couldn't help but notice in the last picture... Did you take the battery out? I didn't know that was done to get access to the timing belt. Are there any stereo codes to worry about with these cars once you start it up after a full power loss?

I've never had a stereo code in any vehicle I ever had. Is that more of a stock radio issue?

Before ripping into the timing belt/water pump I cleaned the engine compartment up with some gunk degreaser and cleaner. So I took the battery and the alternator out and covered the fuse box pretty good. More space made it a little easier to work, and all cleaned up to better detect any fluid leak sources.

I've never had one either, but I've seen one. My Aunt couldn't figure out why her radio wouldn't work after she had a new battery put in her car. Since I'm the family mechanic (Even though I didn't put in her battery) she asked me to take a look. The car was a 1993 Volvo station wagon, and when you turned the car on the radio display read "C0D" for "Code." This was before the almighty internet contained such info, and she lost her manual. I told her she was S-O-L. :lol:

So I got the new water pump, thermo, timing belt, and oil seals all put on with no problems. Did and oil change new oil filter and filled radiator up, went to start it up and nothing!

Turned out I forgot to plug the coil pack back up after using the starter motor and breaker bar to loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt haha.

It had me worried for a few minutes. But its running great now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I dont suppose you have any pictures of the cam seals do you? I am leaking oil from behind my timing belt covers and I suspect my cam seals are gone. I was thinking about doing the work myself. Do you need any special tools to take off the timing belt pulleys and belts?

If you dont have pictures could you give a breif description of how to put the cam seals in. From your post Im guessing you didnt have to take the cams completly out to replace the seals which is good. I was worried that I would have to do the head gaskets along with the cam seals.

Thanks for the help

Brett

Archived