LegacyGT.com

Real world comparison - Stock vs Mods

Hello all,

First I'd like to thank Steve for making this possible. Very generous and kind person.

I just got back from driving Steve's GT with Cobb Stage 1, Cobb short shifter, and Perrin front and back sways. This was a fantastic way to test stock versus aftermarket and I learned a lot. He has 7500 or so miles on his. I have 820 miles on mine. Both are black on black, with wing and tinted windows (boy did they look beautiful together).

My observations after driving my stock car to his house, then driving his around then back to mine.

Cobb Stage 1. Yes I've got to do this. There isn't some stark difference in overall speed with the stage 1, but it is none-the-less very apparent. First, the stage 1 pulls much better much sooner. Second, stage 1 seems to pull longer. My car seems to start running out of power much sooner. It was a joy to feel the power keep up through the shifts. Last, the engine runs smoother. No other way to put this. It just seems to be more linear power without the hiccups mine can experience in 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear. Also it idles smoother although that could just be that his is broken in

Cobb short shifter and bushings. Um yeah. Why in gods name would I leave this stock. I'm kinda pissed here cuz I thought mine was fine until I felt how tight and correct his was. I would never have mine as low as his (I like the knob higher for ergonomics) but the difference in feel was like he had a different transmission. I couldn't ask for better. I'm tempted to sneak back and swipe his. ;)

Perrin sway bars. HAHAHA I read on here that they make the ride too stiff. I could NOT tell a difference in level ride quality period. Steve has speed bumps where he lives and even got to test that out. Identical ride quality as far as rough roads, so that fear has now been squashed. Period.

What WAS different was how the car behaved otherwise. I didn't get to test his out under real hard corning, but I didn't need to. I found out everything I needed to know from normal driving conditions. Two things. No corning diving. Wonderful transitions in an s-turn. Even at low speeds the difference was night and day. Second thing is the his car does not dive between shifts. I am in love. I probably will never test the limits of the sways to know what the downside is, which is why, for me, they are the perfect answer to one of the few real gripes I had about handling in the car.

Other notes.

The JDM mud guards (I just got them a few days ago) work and they look beautiful. I think I'd get them if they were worthless just for the look (which isn't my style usually)

The JDM grille. I don't like it. Looks better in pictures. I'm going to wait till someone does one right for the GT.

If you don't have the all weather floor mats in in snow country...you've lost your mind.

Hope this helps someone with the same questions I had about real world feel of some of these common mods and a direct comparison between the cars.

Pre-emptive (somebody is gonna do it sooner or later so let's get it over with):

:needpics:

Thanks for the write-up. I think this is very useful info for those who are deciding where to spend their dollars first. I assume the Steve you are talking about is Scans007???

We didn't take pics and Steve (yes Scans007) has posted his car online all over the place. The weather still sucks so pics of our dirty cars seemed pointless, we plan on getting together for some pictures once it gets nicer and we can do some killer shots.

Wow that sounds cool.

So let me get this straight, you buy the access port and plug it in somewhere, and (leave it plugged in?)

Then you can switch to different maps anytime you want? (How?)

And it is undetectable to the dealer?

And it makes the car perform better?

And it doesn't use up your ECU reflashes?

Is there any reasons *NOT* to install an accessport?

-Allen

Wow that sounds cool.

So let me get this straight, you buy the access port and plug it in somewhere, and (leave it plugged in?)

Then you can switch to different maps anytime you want? (How?)

And it is undetectable to the dealer?

And it makes the car perform better?

And it doesn't use up your ECU reflashes?

Is there any reasons *NOT* to install an accessport?

-Allen

Yep thats the stuff. Except being able to switch maps at all times. Do a search for AP or Accessport and youll find dozens of threads.

Yep thats the stuff. Except being able to switch maps at all times. Do a search for AP or Accessport and youll find dozens of threads.

On the cobb site under accessport faq it says you can change maps essentially at will, and that the AP can hold 10 different maps.

Is this not true? I'll go read up on it more.

-Allen

I am in love.

He loves me........LOL......I think my girl would be jealous :lol:

I agree with everything he said 100% ok almost everything, alibiet my grille doesn't fit perfect, I still think it looks pretty damn good, and way better then the stock grille....and yes I'm an idiot for not getting all weather matts, to many mods not enough $$$$ :D

And the Mud flaps......look awesome, so OEM, perfect body color match, non-intrusive look. He had no water/mud spats all over his car like I did....I'll be getting them in the near future......

I called Cobb before and they advised me to wait till I have 1500 miles on before I do so. I WILL be doing it. I wish a #$*^%@$ computer chip could have changed my old 72' plymouth Duster with a 318 into a 340 for $650. What a great deal. Long live computers

I had a 72 Plymouth satellite with a 318.... I fully agree.

I also added an accessport when my car had <100 miles on it- don't do it. I ended up returning the access port and I am waiting until I have 2k or so miles on it before I add it back in.

I was one of the lucky 'ECU' problem owners, and I want to make sure it's all fixed before modifying.

Archived