LegacyGT.com

Engine Squeak

We have a 1998 Legacy GT Limited w/ 143,500 miles, purchased recently. There is an intermediate squeak coming from the bottom/backside of the engine (loudest when it's up on ramps listening from below). It seems to show-up more often when it's warmed-up at idle and in gear (stop lights, stop signs, parking lot driving, etc.). We don't see anything that looks like it is rubbing. A stethescope doesn't seem to help locate the source either. All fluids are at their proper level. Does anybody have any idea what it may be or how we might best locate the noise source?

TIA,

Kaz98GT

im open to anything! the squeak is driving me up a wall :p where is the water pump located? because we were looking today and saw the flywheel at the back of the engine where the squeal seemed to be coming from...anyone else have this problem?

water pump should be in front though, i think its under the timing belt cover on the drivers side (i THINK!). did your car come with maintenance logs or anything? the timing belt should have been changed around 100k and if the water pump wasnt changed at the same time, it could be that. or if yours is a manual, could be clutch/flywheel/throw out bearing

im 99% sure that both the timing belt and water pump were replaced in the life of the car. and i wish it was a manual!! but sadly, it's not :( ive gone thru all of the fluids too...could it be something in the auto trans (its not exactly young, and shifts have been rough) and how could i troubleshoot that?

Yep just checked and rechecked the gearbox this morning

King - where's the pitch stop? I'm sort of new to this sorry...and did the squeak occur when the engine was cold? This one only gets really bad when the car's been running for 10-15mins.

I've been to NAPA and the subaru shop at the local dealer...four mechanics have looked at the car to try and diagnose the problem, but all came up empty. It was just a once-over though; I want to try and figure this thing out (or exhaust all options) before I turn it over to the dealer. It's frustrating!!

• 2 months later...

OK,

This squeak is insane :mad:. The water pump and timing belt was replaced, so its not that. It still squeaks along with the engine and when the engine is hot/ under a load (like in drive). The squeak also happens when the engine is off...about half a second later and last for a half second. Something is still under presure or turning while the engine is off. It's still there...and I now have got two possibilities in mind. 1) Torque converter. Some guy suggested it since it might still turn while the engine is off. 2) Presure. The squeak as the engine is off for a second sounds like something that just released presure. Any ideas, comments, or help would be great. Thx

Archived